Open Solaris Installable

Hi,

Can anyone help me with the latest version of open solaris x86 and a link from where I can download it?
I am unable to find one online.

Oracle scrapped the Open Solaris project a while ago.

The project was taken over and progressed onwards but renamed Open Indiana (aka OI).

OpenIndiana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That should be easy to track down but did you particularly need the old Opensolaris?

As I understand we cant install sun solaris 10 on a non sparc machine.I was wanting to install solaris 10 x86 on a Virtual Machine and felt that open solaris was the best candidate for it.
Do you have any recommendations around this if I should use OpenIndiana instead of open solaris since I cant install Solaris 10 on a non sparc machine.
Please do correct me if am wrong.

No, you're not wrong. It's just that if you get a copy of OpenSolaris x86, it will be out of date. It will still work of course. It may well be that someone on this forum can provide a copy.

OI is a running project with a current release.

And of course, you are correct, you cannot install SPARC code on a x86 system.

1 Like

Thanks Hick.

Anyone who can help me with a link to the last released version of Open Solaris(x86).

OpenSolaris was quite different from Solaris 10. Why not installing Solaris 10 for x86 on a VM ?

Hi,
Open Solaris was killed by Oracle. For a little bit they renamed it Solaris Express, but that is now dead as well. Solaris 11 is now what has become of Open Solaris. You can get it here. Oracle Solaris 11

In 2010 Open Solaris forked and is now called illumos. You can get info on at the here: About illumos - illumos - illumos wiki
Illumos also forked and there is anther distro called OpenIndiana
You can dowload it here: Download | OpenIndiana

All 3 are free to download. There is also a Ubuntu/Solaris hybrid as well.

I hope this helps you

Oracle Solaris 10 Downloads

You'll find Solaris 10 on the download page... There are even pre-installed VMs for download:

Oracle VM Templates for Oracle VM VirtualBox

1 Like

@Jlliagre: Do you mean that I can install Solaris(Oracle) 10 on a non-sparc x86 machine(VM)

@bitlord:Thanks mate that was quite useful

---------- Post updated at 08:20 PM ---------- Previous update was at 08:17 PM ----------

Duke : The link that you have given can that version of Solaris be installed on a non sparc machine

have you tried to read the content of the webpages?

For the avoidance of doubt, when you started this thread you were asking for a x86 operating system; OpenSolaris or alternative.

ALL downloads MUST indicate whether they are for SPARC or x86 otherwise none of us would know which to get. Whatever flavor of Unix/Linux you are looking at you need the right one for your platform.

Yes, hopefully.

Thank you everyone..