Open Media Vault

I have installed Open Media Vault on a mini computer and call access it using an IP address or omv.local. When I search through my ‘other locations’ the omv-smb folder shows up. On my MX linux box I can access the files as anonymous. But the anonymous option is not available on Linux Mint or PopOS. What am I missing?

Let me start by saying that you really haven't provided enough information for anyone to pinpoint the issue. There are a number of possible causes.

For the record, what platform is Open Media Vault on?

Are you sure that MX Linux is accessing OMV using SMB protocol?
Can you access OMV from a windows box?

Are you sure that you have 'enabled' SMB on OMV??

As far as other new clients to OMV are concerned, e.g. Linux Mint and PopOS, if you want them to access OMV using SMB protocol, you would need to (1) install SMB onto those platforms, (2) SMB enable each user account that you want to use SMB because all users don't get access to it by default, and (3) set a SMB password for each SMB enabled user which is hashed in a SMB file (typically /var/smb/smbpasswd).

SMB does not use the system passwords hashed in /etc/shadow. It has its own security mechanism. The smbpasswd file is human readable but be very careful not to change anything in there. You can clearly see a hashed password field. If there is no SMB password hashed then, once a user is SMB enabled, using the passwd command to set a new password writes it to both /etc/shadow AND the smbpasswd file (even if you just set the user password to what it is already will get that user's smb password set).

Please provide much more information and we'll try and help you more.

EDIT: Another thought is to check the SMB versions at each end. SMB V1 is very old now and most use SMB V2, but a mismatch of versions would cause all kinds of malfunctions.

1 Like