Only LAN access after fresh install

Hello,

For whatever reason, after installing Solaris 10 I can ping anything within my own LAN, including the router which is also set as the default gateway, but I have no internet connectivity with it. At first I thought this was a DNS issue, but I can't connect with external IP addresses either. If it matters, this server is being run in VMware Workstation 6, and I have had a similar server working properly before with the same hardware configuration. The only thing I can think of is that I gave this server a hostname, and it seems to think that it's part of a domain although it's just a windows workgroup.

Any suggestions?

edit:

Another issue I have is that the filesystem is much smaller than the total space I allocated to the virtual HD (I allocated all space before installing the OS, 8 GBs). It's only an issue because I'm trying to set up a Lotus Domino mailing server, and I only have exactly 1 GB of free space allocated to the file system. How do I partition the rest of the hard drive so it can be used in this way?

on your sun server can u run the command nslookup?

Does the command return any error saying that it cannot find your name server?

are you blocking all traffic at the router? can you ping servers outside your network?

also, why o why are you running vmware and installing solaris with domino on top of that? domino is a f'in hog and probably one of the worst applications i've ever ran into. just thinking about running "server" gives me the chills. anyway, what does format say about how much you have allocated per drive/slice etc.

you want some real fun, install domino on a non-global domain and watch it try to write to /dev. its fun!:smiley: :smiley:

I'll check the server tomorrow and see if it returns an error. I know that it can resolve external IP's to their host names, since typing http://x.x.x.x into a browser will resolve it no problem, but it can't establish a connection. What's even weirder is that it has no problem pinging external web servers, yet it can't establish http or ftp connections with them.

I can ping anything outside of the network. Also, Solaris is running in a DMZ with all mailing ports forwarded to it, so the router's ACL lists should not pose a problem.

"format" as in a command? Sorry but my UNIX is a little rusty. I'll check that out sometime tomorrow as well and get back to you.

Also, the reason I'm running it in VMware is because (for all sorts of reasons) I have to run it in virtualization, and VirtualPC doesn't support Solaris 10 as easily as VMware does.