One LUN, mounted on two servers - howto

Hi all

Im in a situation where I need to mount a single 650Gb lun on two servers / zones. ServerA is the main database and performs a backup to u99, I need to have this u99 also mounted onto another server to allow various zones to `feed` from it.

Ok, I know I can umount, then remount it, but Im trying to find a way to leave the lun mounted on both servers.

At the moment, if the lun is mounted on both servers, if I create a file on server a's mount, then I wont see it on server B until Ive umounted it and remounted, even if the mount is in readonly.

So, any tips, helps, work arounds ?

SBK

First, don't EVER mount the LUN on the second system as anything but read-only. In fact, it'd be best if you could export the LUN as read-only to that system from whatever it's on.

The easiest answer is NFS. If you need to read from a file system across some kind of network, use the ubiquitous protocol designed to do just that.

If performance is an issue and you need to use a direct fiber channel connection, you really need to use a shared file system. Or you'll just have to keep doing the umount/mount on the second host.