Old UNIX Problems

So the almighty goog has not povided any help to this question, so I need some expert advice. i'm on a AIX 5.2 ML_09 box (yeah... I know) and I need to know if there is a utility like nc or socat that will do the same thing for my operating system. The current ask is to be able to pass packets (that are hard coded serial) over the net to a specific tty, then on to a specific IP/Port.

Thanks and sorry if this is a stupid question.

Welcome to the forum. Did you know we have a special AIX forum (which, as the responsible moderator, i hereby shamelessly advertise)?

"socat" and "nc" are - to my knowledge - port forwarding utilities and what you describe as your goal covered by port forwarding either. You can do port forwarding using SSH too, here is a link explaining the technique in general as well as its implementation employing ssh:

SSH Tunnel, Local and Remote Port Forwarding

Googling for "port forwarding" will give you many links describing the technique itself in general as well as its implementation using specific tools/environments should you want to research further.

Question, though, is wether you will be able to find a ssh running on AIX 5.2 ML9, which is out of support by about 10+ years now. Would it be a viable option to update to at least 5.3, ML12 (the last 5.3). 5.3 is (sinde 2011 IIRC) out of support too, but at least it was a stable and mature system - quite unlike 5.2, which included all the bugs from 5.1 and 5L and added some new ones.

I haven't bothered to search, but you might be lucky at Perzl Open Source for AIX in finding an SSH suited for your version. Note that 5.2 was available in 32-bit and 64-bit versions and your software needs to reflect what you use.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

1 Like

our current setup involves a digi portserver on the unix side, with a direct connection to a lava link adapter on the windows VM side. the end goal would be to get rid of the extra hardware (obviously). As far as upgrading to AIX 5.3, the application running on the box hasn't been officially "tested" with 5.3. (I've tested it... it works)
Politics
Anyway, thanks for the info, and i'll check out the link. 99% of the other results I get say "download socat".

Thanks for the info