Old RSC card problem

All,

I have a unique situation concerning RSC cards and would like to see if anyone has a solution. Here is the situation:

We are migrating older versions of Solaris using ufsdump images to like older hardware. We basically installed a temporary Solaris O/S then copied the dumps over and restored them. But in putting in the temporary O/S we setup the RSC cards but now have to get those cards visible on the new dumps. After installing the RSC software on the dump image we can not get to the card because we get the following error:
# ./rsc-config

rscadm: The RSC hardware could not be intialized.

Now the network port is still up with the assigned IP but I am sure there is something encoded to the original temporary image and that device. Does anyone know how we can clear out that information so we can reset the card.

tks,

Steve

i don't understand what you are doing? you are going from older to newer hardware? or older hardware???

Do you have a symbolic link /dev/rsc-control in the dump-image. On a 280R this link reads as:

rsc-control -> ../devices/pci@8,700000/ebus@5/rsc-control@1,3062f8:sspctl

You need the device under /devices as well as the link under /dev to talk to the RSC card.

We are going from older to older hardware. Don't ask complicated issue.

---------- Post updated at 06:44 AM ---------- Previous update was at 06:42 AM ----------

We rebuilt the device tree but I will check.

---------- Post updated at 07:19 AM ---------- Previous update was at 06:44 AM ----------

Yes the links are there on both images. I assume the problem
is that the first image still has control even though I have removed the RSC software.

and what hardware are we talking about? from xxx to xxx.

In addition to other posters requests for Solaris Operating System versions and hardware specification, what exactly did you type for the "ufsdump" and what exactly did you type for the "ufsrestore" ?

In my experience you need to be selective on the restore and to not overwrite anything hardware-specific or Operating System specific.

1) Clean install the Operating System and licences and install Operating System patches.
2) Install and configure the RSC software and test it thoroughly.
3) Rebuild the kernel to equivalency with the source computer.
4) Install and configure any other software. Re-licence software if licenced to the machine ID.
5) Finally restore the data (only) from the backup media (presumably a tape).