Number of login times

Hi! I'm currently using AIX 4.3 and would like to know where can i find to see that there's a restriction on the number of login times a user can have. Example, I want to see whether user A has only 1 login while user B can have 2 logins (without logging off the first one).

Would I be able to see it in the lsuser file?

i know that in my company, certain users can login several times without encountering "Too many logons" while certain users can only log in once.

Hope someone can help me out. thanks

TC

If you go to smit, Security and Users, Users, Change / Show Characteristics of a User You will see this line: Allowed LOGIN TIMES. If left blank I suspect they can login as many times as they want to.

The parameter Allowed LOGIN TIMES used to limit a user to logging in between certain hours.

Actually, I have a problem with this issue. Inside the file /etc/security/login.cfg there is a parameter called maxlogins, which by default its value is equal to 2. This file considered as system-wide control, so all new created users will be set according to this file. In my case I created several users before I made an attention to the login.cfg file, so all these users have maxlogins = 2. When I opened 2 sessions using one of these users and I tried to open third session I get the following message:
All available sessions are in use
May be most of peopol will say, remove these users & create them again. Actuall this may considered as solution & it is not very difficult espcially if the number of users is in the range from 3 to 7, but I want know really if there is a way to change & control the number of sessions allowed for user to open at the same time.

I tried to remove the users and add them again but still get the message:
3004-312 All available login sessions are in use.

I don't use AIX, but the docs say to use these commands:

lslicense
chlicense

Thanks Perderabo. lslicense & chlicense! What is the relationship between the number of login sessions for each user and the License?

lslicense/chlicense displays/changes the number of fixed licenses. In AIX only <nr_of_licenses> users can have concurrent terminal sessions, if these are used up only root can login.

Having no 4.3.3 system here to test I can give you only general directions where to look:

It is easy to change this setting either via "chlicense" or via a SMIT panel (without checking it: i think it is in "System Environments" somewhere) , which does the same. This is a *global* setting, though, and does not work on an individual basis like the OP wanted.

The "maxlogin" parameter was the correct way to do what OP wnated IMHO. It should be stored in the ODM and hence "lsuser -fa maxlogin ALL" should show the status quo and "chuser" (man chuser) should change that.

Alternatively (don't try this at home ;-)) ) you could change the ODM directly, the commands for that are "odmget" to read the ODMs contents and "odmput" to change it.

Hope this helps.

bakunin