NTFS HDD readable from UNIX

I have somehow taken on the collateral duties of System Administrator for our small internal network. At current we have one main file server with 48 SATA swappable drives under the Solaris 10 OS.

My question is this. Our analysts are bringing back data from the field in Windows formatted HDDs, would it be possible to swap/mount these drives in the server and have the data be readable? Our productivity servers that are clustered together are Linux driven where the program will be run, drawing data from the file server if the HDD can be mounted/read.

Any help/advice in this situation would be much appreciated. I would consider myself on the beginner slopes of Unix/Linux, but can definitely fiddle with the best of em'.

Thanks in advance.

Mount-ntfs and UFSRead
has an ntfs mount utility for Solaris, after that it's a simple matter of sharing the nfs partitions/drives/directories

Appreciate the link and response, unfortunately after reading through it, it only supports 2GB worth of data. I have been informed that the data sets will be in TB range which is daunting.

Linux definitely has NTFS filesystem drivers. Two of them, even. You could set up a small Linux server for people to use.

Linux has two drivers because the one that comes with the kernel is read-only. The under-development driver, which can write, is more dangerous; they kept it out of the mainline kernel until they decide development is complete.

Corona,

Thank you for your post. I was unaware of the kernels associated with Linux for NTFS. The issue with setting up a Linux server for this would be that the servers operate on SAS drives and the data being brought back will be on SATA HDDs. We are running hardened versions of RHEL, and being pretty unfamiliar with the process of how these are all clustered or put together I wouldn't want to fiddle with the current set up too much.

Is there a purchasable solution to this? I know that a couple years ago they were working this same problem and ended up having to transfer the data over which would take at minimum 18 hours, which is what I am hoping to avoid.

If you are running on x86 hardware, you can run as a guest an OS supporting NTFS (eg: some Gnu/Linux distribution) in a virtualized environment (eg: VirtualBox which is supported on Solaris) then access the NTFS drives from it and share the data with the host.

Jlliagre, I attempted to install VB on the OS but I am running into a an error when I attempt to start VB. I get the following in terminal:

VirtualBox: supR3HardenedMainGetTrustedMain: dlopen("/opt/VirtualBox/amd64/virtualbox.so",) failed: ld.so.1: VirtualBox: fatal: relocation error: file /opt/VirtualBox/amd64/libQtGuiVBox.so.4: Symbol FcFreeTypeQueryFace: referenced symbol not found.

I got nothing.

The Solaris update you are running is probably too old.
What says

cat /etc/release

?

So I'm possibly way off, as it's the blind leading the blind in my office. @Jilliagre, release is Solaris 10 11/06 s10_u3wos_10 x86

What I have attempted to do (with no avail), was utilize
http://hosam.wordpress.com/2009/09/30/mount-ntfs-ext2-ext3-fat-16-fat-32-in-solaris/\#comments
, and then my thinking was as I am unsure about actually swapping out SATA HDDs within the system itself, to somehow utilize the USB components, and grab a SATA to USB cable to help transfer the data from the drives when they come in.

However, when I do the command prtpart the only file system that shows up is the ff/ff/ff system which I am assuming is the inherent file system. I can physically see the device is connected when I run cfgadm. And have even tried mounting using:

mount -F ntfs /dev/dsk/usb4/5.1 /mnt (which doesn't seem to work at all)

Anyway, am I totally wrong for thinking this could work? Am I not thinking through things enough. I have looked through the documentation on mounting drives and reading USB devices on the Sun site.

Again, any help or guidance would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.