Novice seeking advice in getting started with FreeBSD

Hi there, I'm hoping someone can help me out.
I've just decided to teach myself Unix. (for fun!):confused: although I've never used Unix before so it's a steep learning curve.
I have so far set up a virtual Machine (VirtualBox) on my PC and installed FreeBSD 8.0 (utilising the handbook wherever possible)
I also installed Xorg and Gnome and have tweaked the /etc/rc.conf so that Gnome initiates imediately. That's all good and it seems lovely so far, but as of now I'm completely stuck.
My next step Is to connect to the internet so that I can download Firefox and any other shells or applications that I want, however I've hit a wall in that my current PC utilises a Belkin Wireless adapter to connect wirelessy to my Sagem router.
This all works fine in Windows as the drivers are all provided, but to achieve it in FreeBSD is obviously a little more complex.
I've read through the Handbook section 31.3 on Wireless Networking, but it seems to assume that you've already got a net connection prior to configuring your wireless connection. Do I need to hook up to my router via Ethernet in order to go any further? If so am I right in thinking I just need to follow through the Handbook section 27.5 Using PPP over Ethernet (PPPoE)?

Apologies if this is pretty Janet & John stuff, I'm still learning. :wink:
I did do some searching first but failed to find the answer I need.

Thanks all, -
PJ

As far as I know, VirtualBox doesn't expose the real network controller to the VM, but always presents a virtual wired AMD PCNet III adapter. So any configuration should have been done by sysinstall, or go through section 11.8 in the handbook.

Much appreciated, Many thanks. will try it now.

It also supports Intel PRO/1000 T/MT and AMD PCnet PCI II.