Notifying changes in files through email

Hey folks
Thank you for helping me.I find this website so useful and handy.My latest issue is about notifying change in files say file.txt,file2.sh ...etc to a group of people using sendmail.We are using bash here.

--CoolKid

1. how are you going to manage what files to monitor?

2. how do you detect changes? timestamp, md5sum or diff?

3. how are you going to manage the list of people to receive the notifications?

4. what form will the message take?

1. how are you going to manage what files to monitor?
    I got a 3 files to manage.when ever any one of these 3 change it has to get reported.

2. how do you detect changes? timestamp, md5sum or diff?
    diff

3. how are you going to manage the list of people to receive the notifications?
    by using the sendmail

4. what form will the message take?

Iam hoping to use some thing like this Dear $USER filename file has been changed.

Please let me know

In addition to Porter's question, how time critical is the sending of the message. eg, within 5 minutes of a change. If you are tempted to reply "as soon as a change happens" think about it first, you are sending an email so the user will never get the message as soon as the change happens, and it might be even longer before the email is read.

Reborg..thatz a good point.I have no clue how to respond to this.Advice me which is the best way like what is the ideal time to respond like that. Please let me know

--CoolKid