Not getting prompt after login

Hi, I'm a normal user in hp-ux box. today i'm unable to get prompt after i successfully logged in into the hp-ux box. what could be the problem? what should should i check?

No a lot to go on here. Can you tell us:-

• Is there anything on the console?
  • Is any other account affected?
  • Is it stuck on a DNS reverse lookup (i.e. is your DNS server working?)
  • Do you use NFS to mount your home directory as you log on? Perhaps that mount is failing.

It could be anywhere in /etc/profile or your .profile or anything that they call. Can you connect with FTP okay? We might be able to dig around with that.

It could be lots of things. What symptoms do you get?

Robin

How long did you wait before you decided you are "unable to get prompt"? Most network issues will eventually time-out and let you in or issue an error message. In my experience, when a box literally hangs forever at login it is out of resources and cannot run the processes needed to reach a login prompt. Often a reboot is the only solution.

Perhaps disk is full.

If telnet is open on the box, try using that since it will work without available disk space.

Other then that, as Perderabo mentioned, machine is bricked, probably low on memory and/or swapping.
So check the syslog after you get the machine working for messages like unable to fork process, swap reservation failure or similar.

Hi rbatte1, Perderabo, Peasant, Thank you all for the response.

rbatte1: i use putty to connect to tht server. No console as such. Not much conversant with other things tht u suggested to look at as i'm on appln side. should have tried with ftp but couldn't.
Perderabo: the server was not returning prompt indefinitely but didn't give any error mesg. i hit enter button, ctrl+d but nothing happned. so finally closed tht putty session.