Not able to read redo log file on AIX box

I have a oracle 10 G database installed on AIX6.1) server.

The database user creates online redo log files with permissions 640 i.e. read access to group oinstall

I am not able to read the files with another user part of the group oinstall. even tried to copy the files to another location, but it failed with error "filename" invalid argument.

Even the admin person with root login was not able to copy the file to another location.

Please help

Using code tags, can you show what happens when you try to read or copy the file, with the exact error message copy / pasted?

Any chance blanks or other "funny" characters in the file name? Can you show what happens when you "ls" the file, with code tags?

"even tried to copy the files to another location, but it failed with error "filename" invalid argument."

Yeah, sounds like you have an invalid file name - like a space in it!

if you go to the directory - use od -c /some/directory to see the first 14 characters of the filename (ignore the first two characters, they are the inode)
use od -dc /some/directory to see both inode and filename (on separate lines)

or - use

$ ls -i # to determine the inode number
$ find . -inum XXXX -exec cp {} new_name.log \;

You might be interested in a little primer i wrote about dealing with files with odd characters in their name.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

for the filename with the / character you could try using the find -inum method to hardlink, but better (imho) would be cp to get a new inode and file, then after moving everything else away, delete the filesystem with the malformed file.