not able to install the package

I am working with sun solaris 9 and I want to install some packages but due to less disk space I am not able to install the packages.
I am giving the output of filesystem--

# df -k
Filesystem kbytes used avail capacity Mounted on
/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 2148263 1997593 107705 95% /
/proc 0 0 0 0% /proc
mnttab 0 0 0 0% /etc/mnttab
fd 0 0 0 0% /dev/fd
swap 334456 40 334416 1% /var/run
swap 334752 336 334416 1% /tmp
/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s7 36317277 354747 35599358 1% /export/home
/export/home/Emerson 36317277 354747 35599358 1% /home/Emerson

it shows that my root dir is filled up 95%..
due to that I am getting the error

cpio: Cannot write "reloc/share/locale/tr/LC_MESSAGES/gcc.mo", errno 28, No space left on device
297544 blocks

So Is there any way to increase the size of the root??

Please help me :confused:

thanks in Advance.....

Please check for minfree and if the requirement is not very large then you can reduce the minfree and take some disk space from there.

Initial step would be to housekeep your root fs and see if that improves the situation

what do you mean by housekeep and how can I do that??

delete old and unused files...

i have only useful files and config files only which I can't delete.
So is there any way bywhich I can Increase the size of root(/) without reinstall the OS??

You can grow your partition by two way.

online - without unmounting your file system
offline - unmount your file system

Note: -To grow file system is always a risky think ...make sure you have taken your backup successfully before to use these commands.

Offline method: -

#umount /data
#metaclear D100
#metainit d100 2 1 c1t1d0s0 1 c1t2d0s0
# mount /dev/md/dsk/d100 /data
#growfs -M /data /dev/md/rdsk/d100

Online method: -
#metattach d100 c1d1s1
#growfs -M /data /dev/md/rdsk/d100

my only comment here is that you cannot grow the root FS.

Your only route here would be to:

1. use "du -sk" to find out where your full directories are;
  2. check in places such as /var/crash, /var/core, /var/tmp and delete anything that you can;
  3. looks like /export/home is in your root file system - check that area too for users storing large files.

the only other way that this is to backup your important data and re-install the OS and change the layout of the disk at the same time.

@ admin@solaris:
the OP doesn't use metadevices... so your solution won't work.

@ OP
if you have a second (new) disk that you can attach to your system, you can use the "liveupgrade" option to grow your filesystem. look at docs.sun.com for "liveupgrade". also you can do a "ufsdump" of your filesystems to a new (bigger) disk... but as grippo already said, there isn't a growfs solution with your configuration.

greets,
DN2

I believe there is a growfs solution with the OP configuration assuming he is able to back-up slice 7 350 MB of data on a removable media (eg. a CD or a USB drive). The "no growfs on /" limitation can easily be overcome by booting on a Solaris installation media or Live CD.
s7 being more than likely contiguous to s0, both of these partitions can be resized to suit the needs and growfs used to enlarge the root filesystem.

Another option (although not a pleasant one):
dump the contents of /export/home onto a tape or CD or DVD
Record the results of

du -sh /opt

Record the results of

du -sh /var

Insert bootable Solaris CD

init 0
boot -s cdrom
format

Delete slice 7
Make 3 new slices - one for /opt, one for /var and one for /export/home (stick with slice 7 to avoid confusion)

mkdir /tmpopt /tmpvar
mount /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 /mnt
mount /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s(x) /tmpopt  ###pick a number between 1 and 6 that is not being used and is not 2
mount /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s(y) /tmpvar  ###pick a number between 1 and 6 that is not being used and is not 2 and not the number above

copy the contents of /mnt/opt into /tmpopt, copy the contents of /mnt/var into /tmpvar

**** Take care when copying the contents - there are several options that work well, and several that don't. Make sure that you are VERY aware of pathing when cloning these two directories. ****

modify /etc/vfstab to mount /dev/dsk/c0t0d0sx to /opt and /dev/dsk/c0t0d0sy to /var
Reboot

If the system behaves as expected, reboot from the Solaris CD into single user mode again. Mount /dev/dsk/c0t0t0s0 /mnt.
Delete the contents of /mnt/var and /mnt/opt

Reboot and enjoy