Not able to find the new NIC

I have a Sun Blade 2500 with SUN 5.9 OS installed. I have one NIC built-in which is working fine.

I insert another new NIC in the machine with four RJ45 connector options(means four NICs in one Card). The problem is i am not able to see the new NIC

Thanks

what have you tried to "see" the new interfaces?

I want to configure the NICs(the built-in NICs who are on the single card which i have inserted)

i understand that... what is the problem? what have you done? how is the status? are there error messages?

My problem is i am not able to see the NICs in the ipconfig -a command

Haseeb,

First of all in solaris its ifconfig -a .. and you wont find the interface in ifconfig o/p until you plumb the interface .. if its solaris 10 onwards you can user dladm command. Else in solaris 9 you can see in /etc/path_to_inst

guys u must check the inferface is working or not in the /etc/path_to_inst

cat /etc/path_to_inst |grep -i network

The above will give you the required info..:wink:

during installation u might not been enable network settings correctly

That is the expected behavior. You need to configure the OS to add these interfaces.

ifconfig -a plumb
ifconfig -a

Then create /etc/hostname.xxx for each interface you want to be plumbed at next boot, each file containing the required IP address. xxx being the interface name (eg. qfe0, qfe1, ...)

Why to plumb every interface when you can plumb just a new one ?

Using dladm command you can see all NIC -s in your box

su
dladm show-link

then check with ifconfig command which interfaces are configured, and then from above list od dladm command plumb new interface

ifconfig <target NIC> plumb

and then NIC will be configured with DHCP if you have one on your network.:cool:

it's solaris 9... there is NO "dladm" command!

1 Like

Beyond the fact it's Solaris 9 so dladm isn't available as DukeNuke2 already point out, what's wrong with plumbing all interfaces ?

This is incorrect. The interface doesn't automagically configure itself with DHCP. Moreover, it will will be lost at next reboot if nothing is done to avoid that ...

1 Like

Thanks for information guys :smiley: