Non printing option in sed is behaving oddly

Hi I'm having a problem with a sed command that I thought I was using correctly but apparently that's not the case.

I was hoping someone here could point out what it is I am doing wrong?
I am using the print, no print option for a matched pattern in sed. Everything seemed to be working fine except I noticed that some lines that were matching my pattern are missing from my output.

After doing a little digging I found that after the command matched a pattern, if the next line also matched the pattern it would fail to output the second matched pattern line.
Can any one see why its behaving this way?
Below is the command I am using

sed -n -e '/\<PreviousJobNum\>[A-Z]*[0-9][0-9]*[A-Z]*\<\/PreviousJobNum\>/{p;n;}' /MyInputFile > /MyOutPutFile

The file I am reading in is MyInputFile, the content of which is

<PreviousJobNum>93296</PreviousJobNum>
<PreviousJobNum>95879D</PreviousJobNum>

When I run the above command my output in MyOutPutFile is

If I change the data slightly in the original MyInputFile to have line between the two matched pattern lines, like below,

Then my output Picks up both matched pattern lines in the MyOutPutFile as below.

I suppose I could double space my input file to get around this but I think it would be better to understand why its behaving this way?
if anyone was able to offer some assistance with this I would be very grateful.
Thank you very much
Paul

The n command fetches the next input line. No sed code follows that does something on it, so it goes to the next cycle that - as usual - fetches the next input line, in this case the over-next line.

Note that the n command behaves different from the next instruction in awk and perl (that jumps to the end of the input loop). This is like the b command in sed (without a label).

If there is no further code then you can simply omit the n command.

1 Like

Note that you can simplify your sed script using a "back reference" on top of other sed idiosyncrasies (cf man sed ):

sed -rn  '\#<(PreviousJobNum>)[A-Z]*[0-9]+[A-Z]*</\1#p' file
1 Like

Thank you for clearing that up :slight_smile:

To add, you can use the d command to go to the next cycle without further processing.

1 Like

Thank you I will try using that as well! :slight_smile: