No sound in my Linux

I am not able to run any video file. Getting message something like : no audio facility.
Is this may be problem of driver. If so please send me link for the same.
I am working on Red Hat Fedora (Linux)

We cannot possibly help you with hardware problems without knowing what your hardware is.

What he said.

Need to know what architecture your computer is, version of RHEL, what sound hardware you're using (make and model) and how it's attached (ISA, PCI, USB, Firewire, etc.) also what modules are loaded (lspci), what your alsa.conf file looks like, and any relevant lines from dmesg or /var/log/messages.

I had installed the OS on my ACER (Aspire 5315) laptop. That's all. I hadn't installed any driver. So would like to get some assistance like any web link, etc. where I can get the reqd. driver file, etc. that will resolve the issue.

alsaconf is the command you run to configure ALSA. But first you need to identify your hardware and make sure it's supported.

Please post the output of the lspci command.

The same sound chips can be used in dozens of ways, but don't inform the OS of which way they're hooked up. Acer shipped your laptop with custom drivers to let it work in Windows -- Linux was not given the same courtesy. Linux doesn't know you've got an Acer, you've got to tell it.

You can tell ALSA via the option options snd_hda_intel model=acer

These instructions are for Gentoo but you may be able to find the equivalent file in RHEL.

Lupin, lspci command worked but for me to send you the output I need to copy the output from UNIX to Windows where I am using internet. For that I have to copy 1st in pendrive. Please let me know the device file name for pendrive in Linux.

The exact device name can vary. fdisk -l to list information on available disks and their partitions.

Have you tried the instructions I gave you to fix your sound yet?

Corona, this device name isn't there. I think I need to check one by one and find out.
(By the way, mine is Linux 2.6)

I tried the following but to no avail.

You can tell ALSA via the option  options snd_hda_intel model=acer 

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How\_to\_debug\_sound_problems

What exactly did you do with those options?

Corona, I haven't run those options rightly. I w'd later let you know after running it.
By the way, please look at the attachments when I tried to run an audio file.
Also see the command output please if that indicates something. The command in the attachment worked only when run by superuser.
One point, the problem must be that I haven't installed any sound supporting file separately. I installed only the OS.

Also Corona, one more point. I asked the device file name in earlier post in this chain. Please find the file name dev_folder to see the list of device name I got in my /dev folder. Any idea which one will work for my pen drive.

It's telling you what's wrong -- it can't understand that kind of audio file.

Try playing some other kind of audio file before assuming your sound card doesn't work.

I can't tell which device from the name alone, unless you show the listing of /dev/disk/by-path/, and that you can probably tell yourself -- it'd be the one with USB in it...

Yes Corona, sound and video both are there in my system.
Have a look of the files I tried:

1. .avi

This file had both video and audio working in my Linux.

2. .mp4

This is video with sound
It didn't run and I am attaching the screenshots for this. It's the same screen shots as earlier I sent you.
After reading the message (screenshot named mp4), what I thought that I have to separately install driver files for multimedia,i.e. for audio and video. This is because when I had installed Windows I had to always install separately driver files. I thought the same is to be done for UNIX.

3. .aac

It messaged " couldn't determine type of stream"

4. .mp3

Same error as for .mp4

5. .amr (audio file)

Same error as above.

Now as per the screenshot 1mp4, I need to install the decoders for each file type. That is from internet, I should download those and install.
Am I right?

"avi" is a container. It can have things like mp4 inside it, so you may not be able to play all avi's.

This tutorial for mp3 may help get you started.

Gnome sound preferences have an audio test feature. If you get sound from the test, you know it's working. Your problem appears to be a codec compatibility problem, not a problem with sound playback.

He's already said he can play some AVI files, so sound is definitely working...