No sound in FC3 on Intel D915GAVL

I am unable to get any sound in my Linux installation, which is Fedora Core 3 on a Intel D915GAVL mobo. I tried to look for similar problems on the net :frowning: but most have their solutions in modifying modprobe.conf--which is not very helpful until u know what driver u are looking for.
I have tried the following things already:
(1) Checked System Settings-->Detecting Sound card. Here it says it couldnt find one.
(2)Read through /etc/sysconfig/hwconf. Couldnt find a separate class called "AUDIO". Although, I did find a desc with the words "INTEL" and "audio" in it and a lot of numbers between them. But since the class isnt AUDIO THINK its not detected as a sound device.
(3)The modprobe.conf doesnt have a soundcard alias defined, which I guess is only natural because of points (1) and (2). This, also, I assume, means that just editing the conf file wont do any good (unless I have the proper driver name).
(4)Browsed through "alsa-projects.org/alsa-doc/index.php?vendor=All" to look for appropriate sound drivers. But it seems that this page has information about external sound cards and not mobo ones (at least not my mobo)

With this, I am at my wits end now and a bit tired :slight_smile: Plz help!

That mainboard requires the "snd-azx" driver. I have another D915xxx motherboard from this family and sound has been working on my Debian system for some time. Recent kernel releases should have this driver builtin so it is just a matter of enabling it (FC3's kernel is too old to have this driver, I think). Otherwise, if you don't want to replace the kernel, then you may probably get over by manually upgrading the ALSA drivers from http://www.alsa-project.org.

N.B. It seems like recent releases the driver has been renamed as "snd-hda-intel".

Thanks cbkihong! I will see what I can do with your advice. I will post a solution here if I find anything worthwhile, within this week (I intend to upgrade to FC5 by next week anyway)