No reponse to 'service NFS start' command

Hello,

I have a newly kickstarted RHEL 6.4 server that I'm trying to set-up as a kickstart server. I have done this before on other machines, but I am encountering some strange behaviour in this one.

[root@kickstart ~]# service nfs status
rpc.svcgssd is stopped
rpc.mountd is stopped
nfsd is stopped
rpc.rquotad is stopped
[root@kickstart ~]# service nfs start
[root@kickstart ~]# service nfs restart
Shutting down NFS daemon:                                  [FAILED]
Shutting down NFS mountd:                                  [FAILED]
Shutting down NFS quotas:                                  [FAILED]
Shutting down NFS services:                                [  OK  ]
[root@kickstart ~]# service nfs status
rpc.svcgssd is stopped
rpc.mountd is stopped
nfsd is stopped
rpc.rquotad is stopped
[root@kickstart ~]# service nfs start
[root@kickstart ~]# 

Each time I enter service * start, I get no response, just a newline. This happens with a number of services, not just nfs. I am wondering what is the best way to actually determine the root cause here?

I can see no logs in /var/log indicating a reason for the service not starting. All appropriate packages have been installed by yum. Where can I look to see log output from a failed 'service start' command like the above?

---------- Post updated at 06:50 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:25 PM ----------

Hi, managed to solve this one so thought I'd post the answer here.

I eventually had to step through the /etc/init.d/nfs script to see where the script was failing, and it turns out that when I commented out the line:

# Check that networking is up.
#        [ "${NETWORKING}" != "yes" ] && exit 6

NFS started succesfully.

My /etc/sysconfig/network file had the following:

HOSTNAME=kickstart
GATEWAY=10.204.137.1
NETWORKING_IPV6=no
VLAN=yes
NOZEROCONF=yes

But not the vital NETWORKING=yes

Yesterdy I was setting up bonding and VLANs so perhaps I deleted the NETWORKING line from that by mistake, but adding that line solved all issues with services not starting.

I still don't see logging from the 'service ### start' commands, is that actually possible, and would there have been any way to tell the problem without modifying the nfs script?