No login from SP

Hi.

-> start /SP/console
Are you sure you want to start /SP/console y

Serial console started. To stop , type #.

at this point, I normally can hit enter, and get a login prompt,

now , it does nothing,

Properties:
         type = Host System
         ipmi_name = /SYS
         keyswitch_state = Normal
         product_name = SPARC T5-2
         product_part_number = 33746231+1+1
         product_serial_number = AK00321487
         product_manufacturer = Oracle Corporation
         fault_state = OK
         clear_fault_action = (none)
         power_state = Off

from properties I see power is off , but I never turned it off.
could this be the issue?

so next step ,

start /SYS ?

I assume that you are on the Service Processor. Is this Solaris/Oracle Linux or something else?

The service processor would allow you to power on. What symptoms do you have for the user Operating System? I'm assuming you can't connect to it. Did it get shutdown on request? The service processor is reporting the state.

Robin

Inspect the faults for possible hardware errors :
Check for Faults -
SPARC T5-2 Server Service Manual

When you have determinted no faults or faults exists but you can boot..
Power on the system using start /System.

Then you can login via console.

And when the system boots, check out the operating system logs.

Hope that helps
Regards
Peasant.

does anyone know how set the hostname from the ok prompt? i have no idea why the hostname is set to unknown?

---------- Post updated at 11:56 AM ---------- Previous update was at 11:48 AM ----------

was able to start system but see that booting into read only and hostname is set to unknown?

It may have trouble bringing up disks or the like.

so only option is to boot off another disk, or cdrom?

---------- Post updated at 02:06 PM ---------- Previous update was at 01:37 PM ----------

yes from sp

when I type

-> start /SP/console

Are you sure....... Y

Serial console started. To stop ...

i get the {0} ok prompt,
i have never gotten that before?

does anyone know why i would get this?

At the {0} ok prompt, you are on the openboot ROM.
Type help to see the openboot commands.
Type boot to do a default boot.

1 Like

I saw your new thread. You cannot fsck the filesystem you are booted from. If you need to fsck your root filesystem you should take your system down, boot it from your distribution media (DVD):

ok> Boot cdrom -s

and when in single user, issue the fsck command on your hard disk root filesystem.

I'll follow this with another post pertaining to this original thread.

My response to your thread "No login from SP" is this.

Before you create a thread like this you should fully understand the hardware platform you are dealing with by reading the supplied documentation. Posting here when you don't have knowledge of the platform is not a lot of good.

Now having been very critical, which doesn't help you much, I'm now going to give you some generic starting notes with regards to Sun kit. What I'm about to write is generic for Sun SPARC kit and may not directly apply to your platform; however, most of it will.

1. What you have there is a main SPARC system (Let's call it the System) and an underlying (Linux/Unix) system called the Service Processor SC (let's call it the Appliance) which can run diagnostics on and control the System.

2. The Appliance boots as soon as power volts is supplied. It doesn't have an on/off switch. So anything you see on a screen connected to SER-MGT port when you apply volts to the chassis is from the Appliance (up to a point).

3. When the Appliance has booted you will get an OK> prompt. Here you can login (if you know the password which is different from the Solaris root password). You can type 'help' to get a list of commands. One such command is "poweron" or "power on" which will turn power on to the System. Once that is done you can give the command 'boot'.

4. Now when you are on the console connected to the SER-MGT port you can talk to either the Appliance or the System. If you are talking to the Appliance giving the command:

ok> console

will switch you to the System (Solaris OS if it's running), and if you are talking to Solaris typing:

#.  <no return needed>

will drop you back to the Appliance (Service Processor ok> prompt).
When everything is running properly you can switch between the two at will.

1. So it's not difficult to see that if you are connected to the System and you have not issued any command to the Appliance to power the system up, then you are talking to fresh air and will get no response whatsoever.

I suggest that you read the documentation about Sun Service Processors, etc to understand that you have two separate systems there; the Appliance and the System. The first controls the second.

However, don't let that put you off posting further questions here. You will soon get it.

Hope that helps.

1 Like