*nix Desktops

Yeah, we all know where to find screenshots of Unix and Linux, but it would be awesome to see some of your *nix screenshots. Okay.. to explain: This is my KDE desktop on Yellow Dog Linux. I changed the background recently to a Commodore 64 theme (pretty cool) and no longer is the Konstruct Konsole a perminent part of my desktop! (no, I didn't get it to work, I just gave up after 3 days....)

i have rotating desktop images turned on, so every half hour or so it changed my background. so this is just one of hundreds of wallpapers i have.

Well .. Im currently using a SGI workstation running IRIX 6.5.... I am Using it to surf the web with firefox and read some emails with thunderbird.. Have this geeky anime clock with a girl that changes costume every hour .. a must for every geeky unix desktop :slight_smile:

/Peter

This is me in the middle of a Java/PHP/Postgresql session. This cluttered look is how my desktop spends most of its time. Although I usually have a few more XTerms open :smiley:

I know everyone just couldn't wait to see my C64-themed desktop! I made the folders myself (well, I just merged 2 pictures and touched them up a bit). I changed Konsole to have that (in)famous white-on-blue look. The trashcan icon is the original trashcan from the C64 desktop (but transparent). The clock was changed to the white-on-blue look and the desktop has the C64 logo. This now officially proves I have too much time on my hands! :slight_smile:

K D E S u p r e m a c y

haha:p

What's your kicker replacement? Some sort of (super)karamba theme?

I've used other WM's, I've dabbled with Gnome, but IMHO nothing comes close to KDE - in terms of aesthetics, functionality, configurability and ease of use. That's why I use SuSE - because of it's KDE-centricity

Cheers
ZB

yeah long time suse user here, since 6.4! haha.

yeah its a superkeramba theme. it works real nice. except some of the new things i have been seeing on kdelook.org look real cool...AND they are actually c++ apps, ie REAL programs, not hacks like superkeramba themes (which do work well). except to use those i have to upgrade to 3.2 or something.

i guess ill be picking up suse 9.2? is that it? im a little behind.

Yeah, I think 9.2 is current.

I'm still using 8.2 at the moment - it's as solid as a rock and I don't see me changing any time soon.

I've dabbled with other distros (thanks to VMWare and a ton of spare machines) but in my view nothing feels as "complete" as SuSE. If I had to go with another, I'd probably use Slackware.

agreed.

Perhaps somebody could set up one with GEOS flavour to it?

EDIT : and for my first post, i do this :slight_smile:

Umm... i guess my C64-ish theme is kinda GEOS (old, but it has the trashcan ^_^)

gnome 2.6

I know its been a while, but ive been wondering... s93366, can you tell me where you got that clock or the clock's name? Im getting bored at the default ones. Thanks
By the way, i have a screenshot of my Mac OS
Guess its theme!

This is the site were i found the clock:
http://www.nekochan.net

Dont remeber exactly where.. . :slight_smile: dont know if its SGI IRIX only?

Good luck finding it!
/Peter

zazzybob how did you get the system stat thing up (left hand side of the screen) in SUSE? I've never really had time to configure my SUSE machine lately :mad:

I want to do a fresh install and configure it correctly now. But that thing is it a custom skin feature or something within the O/S?

you mean RIGHT hand side of the screen? thats gkrellm or something like that.

when i used windowmaker i liked having a gkrellm thing there, it was cool.

Yep, it is gkrellm.

It normally sits in the background, and I bring it to the fore when I want to check stats or receive a mail.

SUSE doesn't have it by default (I think), anyways, install the latest version from http://web.wt.net/~billw/gkrellm/gkrellm.html

Toodlepip
ZB

suse does include a gkrellm package i believe.