NIS performance slowness

Hi

I have a Solaris 10 NIS server and more than 250 NIS clients out of these there are 5 main application servers, and whenever there is any compilation happens on any of the application servers (which are acting as NIS clients) entire NIS performance will come down.Can some one help me to fix this.
Thanks in advance

Regards
Nithin

You could nice the compilation so other programs have higher priority.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your swift response, whether the below command will be helpful, please advice

/usr/bin/nice --20 command_name

The main concern is that the application what I am talking about is an IBM clearcase application and its execute a make command & this make command will consume all the availableresources on the server.

A negative nice value increases the "favourable scheduling" of a process. A positive value will decrease it, and that ranges from 1 - 19.

Personally I've never found much use for nice. Must be cos I'm grumpy a lot :smiley:

Compiling on a NIS client shouldn't cause a problem on your NIS server.

Is the nscd daemon running on your NIS clients?

Just nice make command & to run make with lower priority, all its descendants will inherit the priority.

all available resources, as in RAM? Your server's swapping? No wonder NIS is slowing down... in that case nice won't help it.