NIS - Client Not loggin in

Friends n Gurus

I am creating an NIS farm(Solaris only) in my office. I have successfully configured the NIS master and slave servers and a few NIS clients.
However i am not able to log into a few of my NIS clients. The commands "ypcat passwd" is displaying the NIS user. However when i try to login,the terminal waits endlessly after i enter the login name. The password prompt doesn't come at all.

Once i stop the yp services,i am able to login using the local authentication.

Pretty confused! As to what could be the reason.

I reiterate that the NIS commands like "ypwhich",ypcat all display relevant information. Only when i log in from a new terminal i face this issue.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
HG

Friends

Please help me on above posted issue.

I suppose the below will explain my problem in detail.

After configuring the NIS client,i am not able to login using any user(NIS and Local). After giving the username the password prompt doesn't come at all.

I am able to run the ypwhich and ypcat commands and am able to pull the data.(from terminals which i have taken before configuring it as client).
But when i login from a new terminal,it hangs after i enter the username.

I am pasting a part of nsswitch.conf file
passwd: nis files
group: files nis

I feel cast away......

This has got to be a pam issue somehow. I would check that /etc/pam.conf has not been corrupted. If it is ok, I would install the most recent patch bundle for whatever os you are using. nis works fine for us on Solaris 8.

Hi,

These can be an issue of nfs , if u r using nis+nfs :confused: ... please provide more information..what version are u using ?

Hi Perdrabo and Sahil

Thanks for yor replies.
Sahil,NFS is disabled in my environment and so i am not using NFS or automount of home directories.
I agree with perdrabo as i too feel it is a pam issue. How do i go forward?

Thanks
HG

Forgot to add.
My client is having Sol 5.9. It's patched with the latest patches. And more importantly another of my client with exactly the same OS,hardware and patch level is having no issues.

The only difference between this client and the one having no issue is that this client has a failover IP configured.

HG