NIM client mksysb restore

Can a NIM client mksysb restore be performed via NIM (smitty nim) without the NIM client machine having the NIM server's IP and hostname in its /etc/hosts file?

No this can not be done

Have you actually tested this before? Supposedly it can be done but I have a mksysb that won't restore and it does not have the NIM server in it's /etc/hosts. It gets NFS mount errors during the restore just after it prepares the disks and created the VGs, LVs, and filesystems.

yes

what you can to is send the image to DVD and the recover the mksysb from there

smitty mkdvd
:slight_smile:

Sweet. I didn't even know "smitty mkdvd" existed. I'm going to try this. Another guy on my team is doing a mksysb restore test with and without the NIM entry. I need to see if we have a DVD burner on our server and get this started.

We do have a DVD burner... DVD RAM drive to be exact. It must be a standard component on the newer servers.

So the mksysb wouldn't restore on our p670. Why? I have no idea. It did restore on to our p570. So we're going to add the NIM entry there, create a new mksysb, and then restore it back to the p670. Hopefully that will work. Heh... :slight_smile:

Sorry, ravager, but i disagree: if the cleint is properly defined on the NIM server (MAC address, etc.) then an installation of an mksysb works like this:

• power down the client

• allocate the NIM resources on the server (including export tftpboot directory)

• power on the client into installation mode (network boot)

• client now sends a bootp request to server, which in turn uses bootp to install the mksysb image

I do not see where an entry in /etc/hosts is necessary. In fact at the time the client initiates the installation by sending its bootp request something like a /etc/hosts file cannot even exist because there is no installed machine which would have a file system, let alone this specific file. The only thing working at this point in time is the NIC, yes?

What really can block the installation are ill-configured routers/switches/other network gear which will block bootp requests or not be able to act as bootp relay agents (see RFC 1533/1534).

I hope this helps.

bakunin

ok, think it won't allow without the entry in /etc/hosts in client side.

how can you install os in new server's using mksysb?.
we don't need any entry in restoring mksysb.. but, we do need entry when we are taking mksysb from client to nim master.

i recently installed new p6 570 servers using mksysb's from old servers.

just we define the client name in nim master server using smit nim ---> perform admin tasks...,

then back to smit nim --> Perform NIM Software Installation and Maintenance Tasks --> Install and Update Software --> Install the Base Operating System on Standalone Clients...

thanks

Bakunin is absolutely correct. Think of this as a new install on a system with no data on the disks whatsoever. The bootp will issue data on the NIC identified by the MAC address and will restore the MKSYSB. This is the way I usually setup new LPARS with a tried and tested standard image.

The only time I have experienced problems like those described is when the NFS link is perhaps not stable and the connection keeps dropping.

The problem ended up being that some how our network adapter speed setting had changed from auto/auto to 100 Full. After we booted to the SMS menu and changed it back to auto/auto, the mksysb restored fine. I didn't get to test the "no-NIM-server-in-the-/etc/hosts" theory. I'm just glad it is back up and running now.

Lesson learned: Possible network problems? Check your network settings first.