NIC detection problem in solaris

Hi,

Hardware:
Mother board: Asus P5G4IC-M LX
On board NIC: PCIe Gigabite LAN
Kernel Ver.: SunOS 5.10 Generic_141445-09

I've NIC detection problem in Solaris 10. When I was trying to install in x86 machine, it was not asking for any Network settings which means it couldn't find NIC. But NIC exist. I was tried to run /usr/X11/bin/scanpci - but it shows the Ethernet card.

In the same machine I tried to install Solaris 10 on VMware, here in this no problem. NIC detected while installing OS and works fine.

Anyone can help with problem, why it is not detected in first time. I am using same disc for all the time.

using a virtual nic and a physical nic is not the same thing... if solaris can't see your nic, you'll need the driver for you card or a generic driver which might fit for your card...

1 Like

Have you checked the Oracle Solaris OS: Hardware Compatibility lists?

I have come across a number of recent X86 motherboards that Solaris 10 did not like due to builtin graphics or NICs.

1 Like

the NIC is not plumbed.

# dladm show-dev 

should show you the networking devices installed on your machine.

1 Like

but only IF the driver is loaded... if there is no driver for the NIC, you won't see it in the output of dladm!

1 Like

Yes, it doesn't have any driver. I found drivers for my NIC RTL8111/8168 (this model no i got while i run /usr/X11/bin/scanpci) and i attached it. It's a proper driver too. But I failed to install driver. I was doing as instructed in readme.txt file. I've got problem while running the "make" file. I did quit step 3.5 as that is only for sparc platform.

After creating proper soft links and while make file i got message like below

make: Fatal error: Don't know how to make target 'install'

please help me with this
Many thanks in advance :slight_smile:

provide the COMPLETE output from the command and the link to the driver or attach the readme...

note: please use CODE tags if you post output from a command!

1 Like

Hi DukeNuke,

Thanks for the note and i am sorry about attachment. I edited my first post and attached drivers yesterday. And the following is the command out when i ran wrt README.txt

# rm obj Makefile
# ln -s Makefile.${KARCH}_${COMPILER} Makefile
# ln -s ${KARCH} obj
# rm Makefile.config
# ln -s Makefile.config_gld3 Makefile.config
# /usr/ccs/bin/make
make: Fatal error: No arguments to build
# /usr/ccs/bin/make install
make: Fatal error: Don't know how to make target `install'
# 

Thank you