NFS sharing across platforms

Hi,

Not sure where to post this, I'm sorry and need suggestion if this is wrong section.

we are running NFS Server on Solaris 10 and client box is HP-UX 11.11 (Can't apply latest patches/upgrades as in-house appln. doesn't allow)

I am able to mount NFS shares from this Solaris box onto all other Solaris boxes and also able to mount NFS shares of other HP-UX boxes onto this HP-UX Box.

But the problem comes when i try to mount NFS share from Solaris on HP-UX box, it says "Permission denied". It actaully works perfectly when i export/share as below on SUN box:

share -F nfs -o rw /exp1

But this is not acceptable as there's no access-list so i tried below:

share -F nfs -o rw=hpux1.xyz.com /exp1

but it shows error saying "Permission denied" on HP Box. Interesting "showmount -e" on HP box does NOT show any errors and gives correct output.

My findings:

1. Able to ping in both directions with hostnames, FQDNs and IP addresses.

2. They are in 2 different subnets

3. I checked NFS versions and found NFS2,3&4 are supported on Solaris and only 2&3 are on HPUX box.

Please advise.

Thanks in advance,
Prvn

What is in /etc/exports on your nfs server for this share?
Whats is the /etc/fstab entry for this share on the hpux system?

Hi

On Solaris box(NFS Server), it's /etc/dfs/dfstab (not /etc/exports) and the entry is#

share -F nfs -o rw=hpux1.xyz.com /exp1

On HP-UX (NFS client), I didn't setup fstab yet as mount command still throwing error. The command i tried is

mount -F nfs sun1.xyz.com:/exp1 /sunexp

Does the "hpux1.xyz.com" resolve to the same IP address on each host? Try using just the IP address of the HPUX host on your dfstab. You might have to prepend an "@" in front of the IP address.

Which version of NFS are you trying? Try mounting as vers=2 and vers=3. Cross-platform NFSv4 can be very unreliable in my experience.

Yep, both hostnames are perfectly being resolved on both systems, eventhough i tried with IP address but same error.

I tried both Ver.2 and Ver.3 (as no support of NFS.4 on HP-UX Box 11.11) but same error.

-Prvn