NFS Share Setup On AIX

Hi all,

I have one IBM AIX server (serverA) which is connected to the san storage. I have created a volume group and also file system (jfs2) and mounted to directory /profit.

After that I created a NFS share for that directory and started the NFS daemon.

Over at another server, which is IBM AIX also (serverB), I created a mount point /profit and mounted the nfs share from serverA to serverB using the below command: mount 192.168.10.1:/profit /profit

On serverB, I am able to access the directory and list the files in it. But the strange thing is, on serverA, the directory and files are under the oracle user ownership. But in serverB, i see them as a different user.

When i touch a file in that directory at serverB, on serverA, i see it as another user id.

Any clue how i can fix this?

Below is the file listing from serverB

$ ls -l
total 0
-rwxrwxrwx    1 root     system            0 Mar 16 15:00 haha
-rwxrwxrwx    1 radiusd  radiusd           0 Mar 16 15:19 haha2
-rwxrwxrwx    1 radiusd  radiusd           0 Mar 16 15:31 haha3
-rw-r--r--    1 oracle   oinstall          0 Mar 17 2011  hahah3
drwxrwxrwx    2 radiusd  radiusd         256 Mar 16 14:40 lost+found

On serverA it looks like below:

# ls -l /profit
total 0
-rwxrwxrwx    1 root     system            0 Mar 16 15:00 haha
-rwxrwxrwx    1 oracle   dba               0 Mar 16 15:19 haha2
-rwxrwxrwx    1 oracle   dba               0 Mar 16 15:31 haha3
-rw-r--r--    1 10       sshd              0 Mar 17 16:01 hahah3
drwxrwxrwx    2 oracle   dba             256 Mar 16 14:40 lost+found

Below is the /etc/exports file from serverA

# more /etc/exports
/profit -vers=3,sec=sys:krb5p:krb5i:krb5:dh,rw

Thanks.

---------- Post updated at 05:05 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:28 PM ----------

I think I may have find out why. It's because the oracle uid and gid in serverA are different from the one in serverB. So i changed the ownership to nobody:nobody.

So, 1 question. When we setup NFS, what's the best practice in terms of directory and file ownerships?

Having consistent uid and gid on all your systems should help, but not only for NFS but any kind of file transfers etc.
NIS/NIS+ or LDAP can help keeping all uids and gids synchronous. Keeping them the same on all systems manually is a valid option too of course.

1 Like