NFS proxy

I want to set up an AIX server as a central repository for NFS mounts from several machine to be served up to windows chients. I mount from server 1, 2, 3 to my NFS server then mount a drive from windows. I can see the information on my windows machine. for example;

On server 1 I set up NFS mounting of /tmp then mount that drive to /mounts/othertmp on my NFS server. Then set up the mounts directory as an NFS mount and map it on my windows machine to the r: drive I see the /othertmp folder but it is empty. How do I set up NFS mounts to be NFS mounted via another server.

Is there some reason it is a good idea for you not to go to the source? If you need a firewall sort of proxy, there are ways to get the connection through to the source host. There are also many choices besides NFS: ssh2, http, samba, etc.

(It feels like a security problem, generally, both opening up something as undiscriminating as NFS through a firewall, and /tmp in particular, as it as lots of unpredictable, temporary application data ends up in /tmp!)

I was using /tmp as an example. We are looking for a cheap temporary solution for mounts. Currently we have run out of drive letters on windows and still need to mount file systems.

I wonder if there is free afs (Andrew) for windows, which mounts all hosts as a single tree.

If NFS does not want to mount NFS mount space for some reason, switching protocols to SaMBa might work. Furthermore, you can deliver any file with a web service, and many windows apps are URL friendly.