nfs permissions

Hi all

can someone tell me how to set the follwoing permissions in the /etc/exports file to share a directory.

I need 2 users eg a+b to be able to read and write to the directory but everyone else to just read. we have NIS in our environment and I though I could use netgroups do do this. My exports file would then look like this

/dir/to/export @trusted_group(rw)

this does not seem to be working - is there another way to acheive the same result ? or am I doing this wrong

appreciate any pointers

many thanks

According to the man page, the netgroup only looks at the host, not users for the exports file.

So, if you have NIS set that trusted_group is a group (that user A and B belong to), it won't work. Although the man page also states that the format of /etc/exports is similar to SunOS, I don't recall if you can add a user or group of users in the older version under SunOS.

Change your entry to share it out to specific servers with rw. Then, you may be able to change the permissions and group ownership so that only those two users (belonging to a certain group) can have rw - all others read-only. Not sure if that will work or not. Worth a shot.

have done just that and got there in the end ! Many thanks for your help .