NFS mounted files

If I am not a system admin. How can I tell where a particular mounted file is mounted from.

Hi.

Files aren't usually mounted, only filesystems.

df will normally show this - for any user.

That's to say, running df for the directory the file is in, will show you where it it mounted.

Greetings.
I guess I am trying to find where a particular directory/filesystem is physically located. Will DF show me that?

Thanks in advance

An NFS mount will show up something like:

some_server:/shared-directory/blah/blah  101231233130 120203923 232039123 /local/mount/point

If by "physically", you know where "some_server" is "physically" located, then yes.

I would like to know which machine an NFS mounted filesystem actually lives. Or am I not really understanding this function. It seems if I am a box A and I mount a filesystem /home/userid, then on box B i can access that filesystem. But now I am on box C and would like to know where the filesystem was mounted at. Here is the situation. I am on box C and I issue an FUSER on that filesystem "/home/userid" because I want to see who has an "open" process on the filesystem. However, FUSER -u will not bring back the user-id or process id.

According to your description, box C is neither the NFS server nor the NFS client so how do you expect it to know anything about /home/userid ?
Moreover, it seems you got the mounting thing backwards, i.e. confusing mounting and sharing. If you are on box A and mount /home/userid, then you can access /home/userid on box A, not box B which I guess is the file server where you can access that directory anytime as it is on a local filesystem.

Thanks jilliagre, for your feedback. I am learning as I go I guess. It seems to me that if I have a filesystem / directory that I want everyone to be able to see and have access to I need to mount using NFS. Next that mounted filesystem should be listed in the /etc/mnttab on each of the machines that will have access to it (Shared I guess is a good term). So, now if I am a user on machine C I can access the mounted filesystem, however, I do not really know as a user on machine C where the filesystem actually resides. So, as a user, how can I find out where the file actually resides? Any input/feedback would be most appreciated. I do admit, that I may not have a full understanding of NFS. You help is most useful to me.

Before planning any mount, you must first share that filesystem on the server owning the filesystem/directory.

Here you are talking about the client side so mounted is the good term (thus mnttab).

This was already answered by scottn:

df somefile

should tell you if somefile is mounted from some remote server.

Here is the result of a df at my location
/home/maldohe (wdcprodhome:/home/maldohe):2407911840 blocks 151088561 files

The machine name does not appear in the out put string.

So what do you think "wdcprodhome" is ?

Not sure, its not a unix machine I can actually logon to. However, when I do an nslookup, it does resolve to an ip address. In your shop, when you issue a df on a given file, do you see a real machine ?

---------- Post updated at 06:21 PM ---------- Previous update was at 06:20 PM ----------

Sorry for my delays, I work nights and I see you are in Europe. Thanks again for your help. I am getting a little better understanding.

It doesn't need to.

What would be a "non real" machine ??

Non-real, i mean something other than a known machine name that one could actually logon to. Thanks again.