NFS from windows 2008

Hi,

We have a directory being exported from Windows 2008 R2.
When this is mounted on SunOS5.10 everything looks normal however. If we create a file abc.txt on the windows server:

# ls -la
total 26
drwxrwxrwx   2 nobody   nobody        64 Nov 18 10:28 .
drwxrwxrwx   2 nobody   nobody     12288 Nov 18 10:33 ..
-rwxrwxrwx   1 nobody   nobody        88 Nov 18 10:29 abc.txt
# ls -la ABC.txt
-rwxrwxrwx   1 nobody   nobody        88 Nov 18 10:29 ABC.txt
# ls -la ABC.TXT
-rwxrwxrwx   1 nobody   nobody        88 Nov 18 10:29 ABC.TXT

why does it return the filename in uppcase when you search with an uppercase filename?

Is there an option to set on either server or client to make sure the Solaris client remain case sensitive?

Solaris (and indeed Unix/Linux in general) is always case sensitive for filenames. Windows on the other hand is not case sensitive, I believe.

Therefore, if you search for abc.txt in any upper or lower case Windows will find the same file.

I don't know what you can do about that. Perhaps you'll get other more useful answers on this forum.

Thanks hicksd8.

I know UNIX/Linux is case sensitive which is why i was surprised that this instance showed that Solaris was not being case sensitive.

The issue appears to be due to a .Net Framework 2.0 update. There is a registry setting which assigns case sensitivity or case insensitivity.

Set the HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\kernel\ dword:ObCaseInsensitive
 registry key  to 0

A file system that was case sensitive becomes case insensitive after you install an update for the .NET Framework 2.0

This requires a reboot of the windows server.

# ls -la
total 26
drwxrwxrwx   2 nobody   nobody        64 Nov 18 10:28 .
drwxrwxrwx   2 nobody   nobody     12288 Nov 18 11:43 ..
-rwxrwxrwx   1 nobody   nobody        88 Nov 18 10:29 abc.txt
# ls -la ABC.txt
ABC.txt: No such file or directory

I have also tested this on a Linux client and it shows the same symptoms that the Linux client was case insensitive.