Next Generation Firewalls: What's coming?

I joined some seminars, conferences, read some articles and studies about ongoing developments of new firewall technologies and I would like to mention my thoughts about it. Some of those technologies are already on the market but they're starting to be accepted by.

Features:
The next generation firewalls will:

• Have superior performance (up to 100Gbps);
  • Be deployed on more complex network traffic (MPLS, VPLS);
  • Recognize applications (P2P, Video, Productivity, Web, IM, Skype, Games, etc, even "encrypted/obfuscated ones") for control purposes;
  • Be part of complete security Ecosystems (FW, IPS, Anti-Spam, Anti-Malware, Parental Control, VPN, DPI, Lawful Interception) on a single Blade system;
  • Support Denial of Service attacks detection and mitigation on a cleaning center architecture rather than a simple blind shape;
  • Handle on-line traffic scanning for threat detection with zero delay;
  • Understand traffic patterns and build a intelligent filtering network rather than simple allow/deny rules;
  • Allow more "user oriented rules"than ip oriented rules;

As network threats evolve, I understand that our protection mechanisms can not remain the same and for firewalls we do not see a "slips forward" for a time.

I see this "all-in-one" features or "Ecosystem" as a natural evolution of the existing UTM devices. Makes investment cheaper. Management and troubleshooting easier. And are greener than the actual approach to combine multiple security devices to protect a network.

I'm excited with the possibility to evaluate one of those devices. This shall happen soon.

I'll post the tests results here in the future.

A good point here is that the security market is moving forward and for me, it's pointing to the right direction.

Regards

More...