HI,

I have just started a new job as a IT Assistant and the network used by the company is Unix and Novell based. I think it would be highly usefull if i could learn Unix. Also i have tried to install Linux RedHat 7.0 previously but it ran out of space on a 30Mb hard disk drive.

Could anyone make any recommendatins as to how i set up Unix as the second O.S. on a dual platform Win 98 machine? It has a second hard-disk which is still waiting for a unix installation (after 2 years).

Also could anyone recommend any general books or websites to get me started in the networking aspects of Unix. My previous unix experince amasses to very little at University.

make that 300mb not 30. typo, sorry!!:mad:

There is a FAQ for books located at Unix Books.

As for dual booting you can use LILO for dual booting between OSs. Using a third party commercial solution, I have had most excellent experience with System Commander (http://www.v-com.com/product/sc2_ind.html\).

If you go the System Commander route, install it on your Win98 OS first and then install RedHat and telling the installation process to keep the boot record on the partition that you install RedHat on.

System Commander will automatically find the new boot record and allow you to select between Win98 and RedHat.

Of course, don't install RedHat on the same partition that you have Win98 on, that'd be disasterous and you'd curse my name.

System Command is so automated that I once got a free Adaptec 2940UW card and a SCSI drive. I hooked up the SCSI card and drive and System Commander automatically detected that the new drive had Novel Unix and added to the boot list. I was impressed!

Here are some good links also.

Read my post at the bottom of this link.

ENJOY.

A few books as well. You can find most of these at used book stores.

All these are by O'Reilly, the "animal" books.

TCP/IP Network Administration
Sed & Awk
Unix in a Nutshell

For a beginner this next book is a MUST HAVE!!!!!!!!! :cool:
Another AWESOME book, sometimes referred to as "The Red Book". I think it is now a 3rd edition. But I just found a 2nd ed for $6!

"Unix System Adminstration Handbook" by Nemeth, Snyder, Seebass, Hein

That should keep you busy for a few years!!!

ENJOY!!!:smiley: