Newbie to Solaris needs HELP!!!

Hello there,
Am new to Solaris and want to find out what textbooks you can recommend me as a first time user? I have read the Sun Certified System Administrator for Solaris 10 Study Guide (Exams 310-200 & 310-202) by Paul Sanghera but other people say its outdated and not a good book. I also have the ones by Bill Calkins and they seem to be complex whereas the Sanghera one seems straight forward but few examples.
Can anyone out here with enough experience please recommend good books?

Thank you

Runell

The best way to learn Solaris is to use it. Grab a virtualization program and install it in a VM so you can play around safely. Start to use it to perform some of the tasks in the books you're reading.

Here's a bonus tip: If you have some idea what you want to do in Solaris, focus on the ONCE you've learned the basics of the shell.

If you can afford it, Oracle has some good programs for learning Solaris. There's an Associate program and two Administrator ones. That's the best schooling available, as far as I know. It is pricey, but you should get Oracle certified when you're done which can be pretty valuable.

Thanks DustinT for your info, i do have VM Workstation and am kinda playing along with it though sometimes the examples from the books do not work which can be quite frustrating but yes will play along with it.

Are the books am using really a good reference for learning Solaris?

Thank in advance?

Here's the key. Solaris is an OS just like any other... it has to do the same functions as any other OS. If you have ever admin'ed any OS the function is the same.

The key here is to break down the task into WHAT you need to do and then go discover HOW you need to do it.

The other key for documentation is to register for support.oracle.com. it's a free account and gives you access to the OS documentation. For instance, here's a link to the OS Manuals for Solaris 11.1