newbie - learn Solaris 10 or 11?

Hello, I looking for becoming a Solaris system administrator. Background: I consider myself an entry-level Linux system administrator.

I don't know if I start my studies with Solaris 10 or 11. Maybe Solaris 11 because it's the new thing and the future, and Solaris 10 because since Solaris is used for many companies for mission critical systems, these companies are usually very conservative about upgrading, and Solaris 11 is still very young. (since Oracle will support Solaris 10 until January/2018)
Also, I heard that the changes in Solaris 11 are really large, and a lot of stuff developed for Solaris 10 may need to be adapted for Solaris 11, even in spite of Oracle binary guarantee program (pardon if I misunderstood something about that), some ways of configuring stuff moved from text files in /etc to external commands (akin to AIX), breaking shell scripts, etc.

Regarding corporate use, is Solaris 11 being adopted by enterprises? Are the majority of corporations still on Solaris 10? Do you people think that Solaris 10 deployments will still be around for a long time?

So, which is more recommended to start learning?

However, I do plan to study both. So if I start with Solaris 10, after then I will study Solaris 11, and vice-versa. I don't plan on studying only one version.

Thanks in advance for the guidance!

I assume that you are asking which will be the more valuable for you to know. The answer is both. Historically, upgrading from Solaris 8 to Solaris 9 could be done via the DVD install routine. Same for 9 to 10.

However, currently there is no automated upgrade from 10 to 11 and it doesn't look like there will be due to complexity. Therefore, to be really valuable you need to get knowledge of how to do this upgrade.

Hope that helps.

1 Like

Interesting, I will start from Solaris 10 then. Thanks for the info.