New user question regarding admin rights

I'm trying to install OpenOffice on Solaris 11 but when I click on the setup icon I get an error message telling me that I need to have admin rights.

I've tried logging on as SU or ROOT but cannot. I don't see how to grant myself admin rights. How is it done ?

I know there are many many beginner's documents but which one would be best for a Linux user migrating to Unix ?

Thanks...

Are you the administrator of the computer? If so, you need the password to the root account. If not, you need your administrator to do this install for you.

Not any more, at least by default, under Solaris 11 with which root is no more a user account but a role.

---------- Post updated at 13:42 ---------- Previous update was at 13:38 ----------

Too bad you didn't use Linux usual way, as Solaris 11 now defaults to grant the initial user account sudo rights.

sudo -i

or

sudo -s

will launch a shell with administrative rights. Use you own password.
If your account isn't the initial one, you need to ask that user to grant you rights, either using sudo or rbac.

1 Like

Methyl: this is a desktop unit that I am the builder and sole user of. I am the administrator in training. It has a Gigabyte board running 16gb with a hex core AMD processor. Triple boot using three drives (Ubuntu/OpenSUSE and Solaris once I get GRUB chainloading working).

jilliagre: the problem is that I need to click on a setup icon to install OpenOffice so I tried to log out of the desktop then log back in but ROOT was not permitted to log in. I need to assign admin rights to my userid.

The OpenOffice install does not use the command line approach.

What I am aware of now is the incredible learning curve with Unix as opposed to Linux where there seemed to be a gui to do most anything.

Thank you very much for your patience - and I promise to search for answers thoroughly before asking here.

It certainly does under the hood. Just run the command behind the icon with sudo.

I would never have thought to try that. Thank you.

I'm afraid my reply was confusing. I just meant launching an installer by clicking an icon can be done by running the very same installer from the command line. The installer can still be graphical.

1 Like

Success !!!

Thank you very much - I have learned as well from this exercise.

No doubt I will be visiting here soon to learn more.