New to UNIX - just need help.

Hi guys,

Can you help? I'm a newbie for Unix. What are the best practice for me to try Unix in my Windows OS. Is it possible to install a VMware? What else do i need to install on my virtual machine for me to use and explore Unix? Any prerequisites? Need your advise, I really want to learn and explore Unix.

Thanks much in advance.

Cheers!

Try and install VMTools on your VM. Then check if your system has JAVA installed on it. This would help you to get started as it involves a bit of work to be done. Learn as you go as what you are doing and why you are doing. This is a good start for you.

If you are looking for a systematic start then start by looking what, why when, where ... is UNIX and how is the file system inside etc..etc..

I suggest you by a UNIX book for beginner and start reading it after installing UNIX.

VirtualBox is a popular option.

As Ygor said, install VirtualBox and then install a Linux distribution as a guest operating system within VirtualBox. Debian is a good choice because it is very quick to install. Another popular distribution for beginners is Ubuntu.

Got it! thanks for your help guys... cheers