New to AIX Need Help with LPAR Disk Expansion

The AIX admin at my company left, so it has been thrown in my lap. I need to increase a disk on an LPAR and I am not sure of the process to do that. The disk is a volume that is off my SVC and is presented to the VIO as a vscsi0 virtual adapter. I would appreciate any help with options to expand this. I am also wondering if AIX can do a snapshot like VMware?

Welcome on board!

Not sure I have understood your problematic:
Space issue can be of multiple nature, and so without knowing exactly what is your issue, it will be difficult to give you a suitable solution.
What I understand is that you have PVs accessed via VIO on a virtual SCSI adapter, they can be of 2 types: internal to the AIX system, external via a SAN ( or NAS?...) if you have a SAN you might contact them and ask for extra LUN then come here to ask what to do next, if internal I won't be much of help since I always worked with SANs, but other knowledgeable colleagues could help you...
Now Lack of space means also to understand what/where if its in a file system in a volume group that has some spare space ( which most sysadmins configure in such a way leaving them enough time to order extra disk before it gets critical) then it is just a question of extending the impacted Logical volume, if you not have any spare then its back to the beginning, how to add an extra PV to an existing VG.

We need to know what: adding an extra PV to a VG, or extending an LV and if you have that extra PP for extending or not

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.