new sparc netra 500mhz problem

hey guys i'm in university and i bought my self a sun ultra SPARC netra 500mhz machine with the usb ports a vga gfc and cdrom drive

now i have a problem (bought it off ebay) i trying to install a fresh solaris 10 server op onto it but it looks like it previously had linix installed and that got correpted and so it asks for a boot command line

is there any way i can get it to boot off cd? i have the multi disk server of solaris 10 and it plugged into its own screen with usb keyboard

thanks in advance for the help guys

bring the mashine to obp level and enter "boot cdrom".

how to i do that? bringing to op level.

If you are using Sun keyboard and monitor connected, use the stop+A sequence, if you are using your notebook via a serial connection, then use a sendbreak signal (eg, alt+B) to drop it to the ok> prompt. From there, you can issue "boot cdrom" command to start a fresh install of Solaris

if you are connected to the lom (serial a), your break sequence is #.

i got it connected to screen and a non solaris keyboard (but usb) (but it is saying the keyboard is present)

i type cdrom and it dosent do nothing just says the argument is not varified

if i press enter on the boot command it tryes to boot into a linix distro but it seems to have correpted its self thats y i want to install solaris 10

type "boot cdrom" at ok> prompt

check with "devalias" that the alias to cdrom is set. if not, probe for the cdrom with "probe-scsi-all" oder "probe-ide" and use "nvalias" to set the devalias to the cdrom.

i no this may be silly but how do i get to the stop break command

i never used solaris before and i am using a normal usb keyboard that seems to work ok with the server (as from wot i understand if it didnt work it would show up as no keyboard connected)
i think

sorry if i seem stupid

i found somewhere about the button on the front of the netra twice for break n is that the same?

thanks for the help

this is what it says

your image name "cdrom" and arguments '' have either wrong syntax or describe a lable which is not present in silo.conf
type help at the boot: prompt if u need it and then try again
boot:

I don't know what a sun ultra SPARC netra 500mhz is supposed to be. I never heard of silo.conf. Could it be lilo.conf? You are our only source of information. We can't help without accurate information.

The OBP ok prompt comes from the firmware. It is like the BIOS in a pc. I don't know what button you mean so I don't know what it might do. Power maybe?

the sun ultra spark 500mhz is the server single rack module i only have one of them and its this that is giving the problem.

it definatly says .silo.conf when i type in a boot device it says its not present in the silo.conf i assume a file that has the boot devices in perhaps

when i turn on the vachume cleaner (thats what i nick named the server as its soooo loud) it takes about 10secs for the screen to come on when it does it says a sort of bios
openboot 4
silo version 1.4.10
boot device /pc@if, 0/ pci@1, 1/ide@d/disk@0,0:a
boot:

Found this on SILO:

Linux Online - SPARC-HOWTO.: SILO.

i think the problem lies in not knowing what the cd rom is does any one no what the default path name for the cdrom booting is i cnt seem to do the stop a break (using a usb intel keyboard) but it is being picked up

if you can... i would just reset the nvram. is this for your personal use or is this a production box??

its for my own personal use to learn solaris

how to i reset the the nvram? i havent got a serial cable as of yet and i only have a monitor attached and a usb keyboard(intel) but it says on the boot process they keyboard is present.

At the ok> prompt, type "set-defaults" . Make sure you capture the existing NVRAM settings, just capture the printenv output and save it somewhere else.

thats the problem i cant get to the ok prompt

i havent got a sun keyboard i am using a intel usb keyboard which seems to be picked up by the box when i turn it on it goes straight to the boot prompt

Try typing ,,, (3 commas in a row). That gives me the ok prompt on some Sun boxes.

what screen are you at? i can't figure this out from the posts. does the system have a {} such as {0} look to it? something to that effect. any output from screen??

Try removing the hard disks. Then boot it it. That pretty much has to send you to the ok prompt. Once there do:
setenv auto-boot? false

Then power it off, replace the drives, and turn it back on. You should return to the ok prompt. You can set auto-boot? back to true after you get the os installed if you want.