New runlevel service

Ok, I am attempting to add a new program to startup during the runlevel 3. I am using Suse 10.
I made a script lets call it foostart and placed it in /etc/init.d. It has 777 permissions on the script.
I then created a link ln -s /etc/init.d/foostart /etc/init.d/rc3.d/S99foostart
But during bootup the script will not run.
I can run /etc/init.d/footstart start and it will execute fine. I can even go into yast and see it in there and start it from there and it starts fine. What am I missing for it not to start during bootup. thanks for any help.

isn't the path /etc/rc3.d/S99foostart? and what are the permissions and who is owner of the link and the script in init.d? post the output of "ls -l /path/to/script".

gold:/etc/init.d # ls -lrt /etc/init.d/foostart
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 143 2009-01-15 12:43 /etc/init.d/foostart
gold:/etc/init.d #

gold:/etc/init.d # ls -lrt /etc/init.d/rc3.d/S99*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 2009-01-15 12:50 /etc/init.d/rc3.d/S99foostart -> /etc/init.d/foostart
gold:/etc/init.d #

again, is this "/etc/init.d/rc3.d/S99foostart" the right path? in all other linux/unix distros i know, the path is "/etc/rc3.d/S99whatever". i don't know suse and maybe your path is right but please check this...

Yes that's the right path, as there is no rc3.d and all other runlevel programs are in the paths.

all looks fine for me so far... so this is a suse problem or something is wrong with the script itself... i've no suse system to test this. i've moved the thread to the suse subforum. maybe a suse user knows how to solve this?!

greets,
DN2

I changed S99 to S10 and now it seems to be running at startup. Anyone know why that is? Thanks.

Ok New Question, where can I put the program to run after everything has started up. I have it running in runlevel 3 using the highest number but seems like the program isn't able get a network connection thus is dies out. Thanks.

you have to start it AFTER network is up and running. S10 is maybe to soon...

Maybe try this:

Create a new script that prints the results of ENV to a file.date.time.

Create two aliases - one to run this at S10, and one to run it at S99. Perhaps there's an environment setting that is being revised midway through the startup scripts....

I've seen stranger things happen