new - How i can implement Mirroring

Unix is something new for me, I trying learn about it now.
I have download the sun virtualbox software and install solaris 10 into it. It is is like wizard with step by step installation guideline. :slight_smile:

NOw how can i implement mirroring(RAID) into the my new SunOS? can anyone give a briefly list of steps?

Just create two virtual disks under VirtualBox, attach them to the Solaris virtual machine and create a mirrored zfs pool from them.

""create a mirrored zfs pool ""
I think the PO was not asking on that ..?..!~#!@ :o

Isn't my answer a "briefly list of steps" ?
What would you have suggested instead ?

what's i trying is combine two harddisk into 1, 1 for data and another for backup. Is it name RAID-0? I not really sure about it. Two harddisk in a same volume like c0t0d0 and 0.0.0 represent disk1 and 0.1.0 represent disk2.

Ya, i had assign two virtual harddisk with IDE primary master and slave.

FYI: my disk is without target, one is c0d0 and another is c0d1.

How are you planning to use the disk I mean as a strip or concatenation? You can user RAID0+1 with the help of Solaris Volume Manager. If that's what your plan let us know.

Assuming these disk are wholly dedicated to the mirror:

zpool create data mirror c0d0 c0d1

That's it. You have now a /data filesystem whose content are mirrored on d0 and d1. ZFS is dead simple when compared to alternate RAID solutions.

By the way, mirroring means each disk is a backup of the other one. There is no specific data disk and backup disk like you describe.

it should be strip and mirroring. What i trying to do is create a logical volume, it is contain 2 disk. whatever i did in disk A it will mirror to disk B. Disk B it is locate in slice 2 of logical volume and other slice is used by disk A.

Sorry I couldn't understand the above line.

As per my understanding all you need to do is create a metadb on both the disk. Take any of the unused slice , allocate space to that and create a 3 copy of meta db on the slice , some think like this

e.g. I am taking slice 7 for meta database

check the same with

For / ( root)

Likewise you can create volume for rest of the partition

Once done change the /etc/vfstab entry to point the partition towards the different volumes

Do the required entry into the /etc/system for rootdev

Also you need set the rootdisk/rootmirror

Reboot the system

( please verify the above steps I am just giving you kind of direction, I mean how you can plan the entire activity)

thank for you kindly info. I should finish installation solaris and partition it into 8 slice (0-7) Then afterward run above commands in single user mode?

What's happen to my disk volume, it is show c0d0 and c0d1. Without 't' then i still create a logical volume? (i am running x86 platform in virtualbox)

Could anyone make sure for me:

database replicates are always occupy a whole slice? (cannot make a filesystem on that slice ?)

always need a database slice for each mirror hard disk?

Webster5u: there is no reason to be concerned about the missing target on your disks. It is just they are (virtual) IDE disks, not SCSI/SATA ones.

What I was suggesting (adding two new disks and implement ZFS on them) is a very simple and straightforward solution. I'm disappointed to see you seem to prefer the complex way (SVM).

i haven't setup the metadb yet. I think my installed solaris is not configure well, it is hostname disappear, cannot run "raidctl" cmd and etc. it is not a good start point for me.

jlliagre, thank for your comment. it is really thank, i am currently assign into a project. i have to understand exactly how system administrator done to our company server. ZFS will be my alternative choice.

whatever, thank all of your.

webster5u

What do you mean by hostname getting disappears?

If its after every reboot then all you need to is edit the /etc/nodename and add you hostname into the this file and also execute

Hope its going to help!