New Desktop Configuration

Hi Guys,

I dont know if this is the right thread to post this but i didnt find a better category. I am planning to buy a new desktop and i would need your suggestions for that. The desktop will be mainly for
1) FPS and MMORPG gaming in Windows (Quake, UT and WOW)
2) Linux for programming (Gentoo, Ubuntu and RH)
3) Open solaris for programming / experimenting

So right now the biggest confusion i have is whether to go for Intel and AMD (and i am sure i am not the first one to break my head over it). I was looking at the prices of AMD dual core and seems way better than Intel but again I am not sure of the performance and the HCL for linux and opensolaris.
Also i am looking for a motherboard which has inbuilt ATI or Nvidia graphics card for gaming. I dont plan on spending extra for graphics card

Any suggestion would really be appreciated.
Oh just forgot to mention, please also note that the chipset should work on all operating systems

Also, did you guys ever face any issue with 320GB SATA seagate HDD?

Thanks in advance for the help

I beleive that tall of the mmorpgs you mentioned have a a *nix port. as far as your question rtelating to AMDS Versus Intel in the Duel core processing game I think amd is Muck better ( Hp pavilion A6230n ( AMDF Athlon X duel Core 5600+)) running Open Solaris SVN_99, i have also run every thing from Gentoo Ubuntu to Slackware on this exact machine with minimum Hard ware compatibility issues, I would not recommend using the on board Nvidia Ethernet adapter though. I stand behind AMD both for their price and ovedrall compatibility with alternative Operating systems.

Eh? Most of the games have UNIX clients? Why the hell am i even installing windows then? Thanks for letting me know that.

Coming back to the topic: what mother board does your system have? i understand its an nvidia chipset but i could not find anything about the motherboard..

My system has a M2N68-LA (Narra2).