Networking Issues - Opera, FreeBSD, AIX

(1) Hi, Am working on FreeBSD 7.4/i386 and installed Opera 11.01 through ports collection manually... But when I run first time am getting "opera: cannot connect X server. Error: Unknown error: 0" What is this error all about???? Please help me to sort out this issue!!!

(2) Hi, currently am trying to tie a link between two OS, but when I tried "netstat -in" in AIX its the Network link#2. How to change the AIX Network link#2 to link#0... Do tell the steps how to change link#2 to link#0....:confused:

(3) Hi, currently am trying to tie a link between two OS, but when I tried "netstat -in" at FreeBSD7.4/i386 its Network link#1. How to change the FreeBSD Network link#1 to link#0... Do tell the steps how to change link#1 to link#0....:frowning:

(4) Hi, am using FreeBSD 7.4 and installed opera11 through ports collection manually, but when i tried to run for first time am getting, "opera: cannot connect to X server. Error: Unknown error : 0" what does the error is all about??? Do help me please!!!

(5) Hi, currently am working on FreeBSD7.4/i386, when i tried with "netstat -in" it says network link#1 for interface em0, how to change that network link from network link#1 to network link#0 for interface em0... Please do suggest the steps...:confused:

Wow!! you have too many questions!! :smiley:

Well, about running Opera on FreeBSD, I am unable to help you there. These ports are meant to be broken and for a person who never uses GUI on UNIX boxes, it's difficult to troubleshoot X related issues. Sorry!

Coming to Network Link number change, are you trying to say you want to change the name of the NIC from en2 to en0?

For AIX, I can guide you through the process, but it's the hard way. Someone else might show you much simpler way though.

Here it is:

# save the info about the NIC
odmget -q name="ent2" CuDv >>/tmp/en2
odmget -q name="ent2" CuAt >>/tmp/en2
odmget -q name="ent2" CuVPD >>/tmp/en2

# Bring the interface down
ifconfig ent2 down
ifconfig ent2 detach

# remvove references from the ODM
odmdelete -q name="ent2" -o CuAt
odmdelete -q name="ent2" -o CuDv
odmdelete -q name="ent2" -o CuVPD
odmdelete -q value3="ent2" -o CuDvDr

# replace the NIC name from ent2 to ent0
sed "s/ent2/ent0/g" /emp/ent2 >/tmp/ent0

# add the new info in ODM
odmadd /tmp/ent0

# check and confirm
lsdev -Cc adapter -l ent*

If you are using production system, I would highly recommend that you consult with someone who is expert in AIX ODM before doing anything!!

For FreeBSD:

vi /etc/rc.conf
# Add the following to change the name of the NIC from em2 to em0
ifconfig_em2_name="em0"
#change the following line by substituting em2 to em0; use your own IP details
ifconfig_em0="inet 10.0.1.105 netmask 255.255.0.0"

And reboot. That's about it! :b:

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.. But....:frowning: :frowning:
Am not trying to change the NIC interface.. No issues regarding that..
I need to change that "network link#" When "netstat -in" is typed on command prompt we get a output right, in that under Network Column "link#2" is displayed.. I need to change that "link#2" to "link#0" in AIX..
And in freeBSD "link#1" to "link#0".. Please do help me...:wall:

To be honest i am not really sure about us not doing homework here. The question nr. 2 is quite suspiciously phrased. Anyway, i am going to give the benefit of doubt and will answer at least two questions - 1 and 4 - , which seem to be in fact one. Is it just me or is there absolutely no difference in them?

The reason is that your X-server is refusing to let the client connect to the display managed by it. Enter xhost + (which suspends any restriction regarding clients) on the system running the X-server and try again, now this error should be gone.

You might want to read this post for a short explanation of how X-Windows works.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

1 Like

Thank You for your reply regarding opera..
But still that network link issue remains....:confused: :frowning:

Would it be possible for you to show us the "netstat -in" output on bothe the AIX and the FreeBSD boxes?

"netstat -in" shows the interface details with the name of the NIC. How are you getting "link#" as the output? Something is fishy here.

Hi,
The output of netstat -in of AIX is posted...
The same appears for FreeBSD too..
Please help me to sort out the issue..
The link#3 is highlighted that has to be changed to "link#0":frowning:
Please help me.. My project is in the half way..
Should change to "link#0" then only I will be able to proceed

1 Like

I don't understand why you would want to change en2 to en0 - what is the point of doing so?

AIX scans at boot time the buses and attached hardware and numbers the devices found this way. The first found network interface will become en0, the next one en1, etc.. But as these numbers are just that - numbers to set apart the various interfaces - there is simply no point in changing them. The interfaces could as well be named "Jones" and "Smith" or "yellow" and "green". The numbers do not constitute any "priority" or other functional difference between the interfaces.

admin_xor told you already how to change a single interface from en2 to en0. I would just like to add that you have to remove the original en0 first before renaming en2. After that you can run cfgmgr to rescan the hardware inventory and add the original en0 - now probably as en2.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

Hi,
The interface en2 is connected to network link#3 as per the output of netstat -in command..

That network link#3 should be changed to link#0..
Interface en2 may remain same..
Attached snapshot of AIX netstat -in output..
Please do help soon to sort out the issue..:wall:

---------- Post updated at 01:47 AM ---------- Previous update was at 01:29 AM ----------

Hi,
The interface en2 is connected to network link#3 as per the output of netstat -in command

The en2 is connected through link#3..
That link#3 should be changed as link#0..
Please help me to sort out this issue..
Project in mid way...

checked 5 AIX systems with different OS releases (5.3 to 7.1):

no link#0 at all,

lo0 is ALWAYS link#1, first en Interface becomes link#2, and that's en0 most likely

why would you need to change the link number? what do you want to achieve?

netstat -in | sed 's/link#3/link#0/'

that works great..

Edit:

I think I know what you want, you think the two operating systems can communicate with each other, if the network adapters have the same link number? :slight_smile: well that's not the case, have to go now, if no one else does I'll explain this to you later
but first tell me if I'm wrong or not

hmm, i haven't even thought about that - my presumption was at least minimal knowledge of IP networking. Still, you might be right.

I thought of some routing issue, where the default route, bound to en0, is somehow blocked (firewall, lost link, whatever) and he thinks he can bind the default route to another interface (which wouldn't work either).

Anyway, instead of speculating about threadowners motives we might just wait fro him to explain himself as well.

bakunin

Priya,

It's the best time you explain exactly what you want to achieve and about your project if you really want us to help you.

I have never seen anyone bothered about the "Link#" thing and to be honest I, myself looked at "netstat -in" output uncountable times throughout my career and college/school days almost since I got in touch with Un*x systems without being bothered so much about this "Link#" thing that I didn't realize till yesterday it ever existed :smiley:

So please let us know what exactly you are upto.

---------- Post updated at 02:31 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:27 PM ----------

BTW, nothing related to the topic, do you, by any chance, work for IBM? 9 series IP reminds me of IBM internal network :wink:

Hi funsken,
You are right about what I exactly want to do..
I need to change the link# of two OS, at link#0 to make a communication..
Please Help!!!!:o