Networking help...

Please accept my apology ahead of time. Our AIX admin left the company unexpectedly and I am now left with trying to get a p570 w/5.3 setup. I had the help of an IBM reseller on setting up the LPARs, but need some quick questions answered.

1. I have 1 on-board NIC and 2 slot NICs. How do I know which is en0, en1, etc... I am assuming that en0 is on-board, the first (from the left) NIC slot is en1, and 2nd slot is en2. Am I correct? Also, why would I see a en3 as well if I don't have a 4th NIC?

2. Am I able to configure multiple gateways? i.e. en0 set to a management VLAN and en1 to a prod VLAN. It seems that when I change en0 or en1 within SMIT, it changes the gateway for both.

If there are any helpful pointers out there that you might have regarding this, please let me know. I would rather read some good documentation regarding this, I just can't seem to find these specific questions...

Thanks and again, I apologize for the newbie questions...

~Josh

1. On the 570 machines there are in fact two onboard NIC's, sort of "on top of each other on the back of the machine".... so to speak. Those would under any normal situation be defined as en0 and en1. That also counts for en2 and en3 as the two other NIC's you reffer in your text.

2. By using smitty route you can set up seperate gateways for each destination host or net. The behaviour you are describing regarding the changing gateway is because you are setting the default gateway. There can be only one default gateway, since the operating system must have a unique address to forward all packets to, if it has no other place to send them.

1. I saw that this morning... Thank you! I was actually finally to start getting this box on the network. Although, to combine #2 in here, I see what you are saying. I start playing around with it again here later on today.

Thank you very much for your assistance! If you are ever in Phoenix, AZ or San Jose, CA, I owe you a beer! :smiley: Take care!