Network Time server

I have NTS server with GMT time ,I want to make this server as a time reference for all unix servers that I have in my network.I knew 'ntpdate' command but what I need is to make the time on unix servers in my country local time which is GMT+3???Any help??
Thanks in advance

Set the timezone on your server. ( /etc/default/init ) Timeservers and time in general are based on GMT so all timeservers use it.

Hello reborg,
so if i set the time zone on unix server and then issued 'ntpdate' command the time will be my country local time...

Thanx

There is no such thing as local time for Unix. Unix kernel internal clock always use universal time a.k.a. UTC a.k.a. GMT. NTP is also using this same unique reference time and do not care about timezone, hopefully.

The time displayed will depend on an environment variable (TZ) and so may vary depending on the user even on a single machine.

With Solaris, the default timezone users will inherit if they do not choose otherwise is defined in the /etc/default/init file TZ variable.

Hello jlliagre,

if I ahve one NTP server and many unix machine and I want to synchrounize time between these servers and make ntp server as a time reference for all servers..How could I achieve this????

Just configure and enable ntp on the clients.

jlliagre could you please tell me how to do this

It is quite simple:
Managing Network Time Protocol (Tasks) (System Administration Guide: Network Services)

as I think this will make the time on my servers as GMT?????

As it should be, yes. Read what was posted above.

but this is not what I need,I need to uniform LOCAL time on all unix servers??????????

Not configuring it The Way $dmr Intended with the time set to GMT internally and the necessary configuration to display local time is probably not a good idea. Are you really sure that is what you want?

Of course you can detach your NTP servers from the rest of the world and synchronize only internally, but that really seems like a backwards solution to a non-problem.

it seems that you didnt understand me well ,if I use the command:
'ntpdate <ntp IP address>' this will adjust time on all unix servers to GMT??? but I need to make time on all servers equal to my country local time which is GMT+3

Edit following file and enter the line given below...

# vi /etc/inet/ntp.conf --------------On client machin
server 10.22.17.50 prefer
# svcs -v ntp
# svcadm disable ntp ( For Solaris9: #/etc/init.d/xntpd stop)
# svcadm enable ntp ( For Solaris9: #/etc/init.d/xntpd start)

Whereas 10.22.17.50 is your NTP server.

It seems you refuse to accept how Unix works.

Which is how god intended.

Just set correctly your TZ variable.

Eg:

$ date -u
Mon Apr 14 12:43:44 GMT 2008
$ TZ=GMT+3
$ export TZ
$ date
Mon Apr 14 09:43:55 GMT 2008