network printer problem

I have AIX 5.3 OS. After issuing the print command, the printer state immediately goes down. I have checked the /etc/qconfig flle, resatrted the qdaemon but again same problem is occuring. I am using HP 5100 connected to jetdirect.
what is the problem and it's solution?

The problem is somewhere in (or on the way to) your printer, the "queue device". It can - for reasons unknown - not process what is in the queue, therefore the queue goes down to prevent becoming flooded. Guess what happens when you forcefully put the queue in "UP"-status again.....

Maybe the printer has a paper jam, the network cable is not connected properly, there is no paper in it, the toner is low, the printer is switched off, ..... All these (and some more) things lead to one symptom: the printer doesn't process its jobs any more and hence the queue goes down.

Sorry to be not of more practical help, but from here and not having a look at your printer i can give you only some theoretical hints where to look.

bakunin

Iam getting this problem only with one pc in my network. Printer and all its othert settings are correct. It is printing jobs from other comps except the perticular.
Could you suggest more???

hmmm....

have you already checked the queue definitions and made sure the printqueue is configured properly on the PC? You haven't said it, but suppose your situation is as follows:

You have a printer, connected to the network. There is an AIX-machine in the same network on which a print queue is defined which is using the printer as queue device. Several PCs (running Win?) are on the network too and feed their printjobs to the AIX-queue.

How do they do that? are they using something like an lpr? And as this is a HP Jet-Direct card, why are the PCs not using *its* lpd but the lpd of the AIX-machine?

One test you could make is: if you know the printers (Jet-Direct cards) IP-adress issue a

telnet <printer-ip> 515

and watch what you see. You will of course get no real communication going but there should appear some banner message of the lpd daemon residing on the Jet-Direct card.

Could you please provide us with a queue definition from the AIX-machine. What is the output of /usr/bin/lsallq and what is the content of /etc/qconfig?

bakunin

Thanks bakunin for your help.
My senior has decided to format it.