Network Manager not setting correct DNS servers

Since a few weeks i use Ubuntu 16 on my laptop:

# uname -a
Linux xxxx 4.8.0-52-generic #55~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Fri Apr 28 14:36:29 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Because i want to use a custom name server i set the properties in the "Edit Connections" dialogue to the following:

[...]
Method: Automatic (DHCP) addresses only
[...]
DNS Servers: <list of IP-addresses with DNS servers>

And i expected that any time i use this connection that the respective DNS servers are automatically put into the file /etc/resolv.conf (which is actually a link to /run/resolvconf/resolv.conf , as it should be, i am told).

Still, this doesn't happen and in /etc/resolv.conf a name server provided by the DHCP server is mentioned instead of the ones i entered. What am i doing wrong?

bakunin

1 Like

Is this bug related to your issues (looks similar):
Bug #1671606 �DNS server from vpn connection is not being used a...� : Bugs : network-manager package : Ubuntu

This is VPN in question, but symptoms seem to be alike.

If you can, try downgrading packages mentioned in the bug and retest.

Regards
Peasant.

Actually this looks similar, but not quite, because their DNS-servers become set at some point - my problem is that it doesn't. The behavior i get is the same as if i would select "DHCP" instead of "DHCP -Adresses only". It also happens regardless of the network selected, even when i use a non-WiFi connection.

I will try that anyways (i got nothing to lose) and will report back. Right now i had to took the laptop in question to repair because the keyboard is broken (unrelated to this) so it will take a few days.

Thanks for the hint.

bakunin