Network issue

I have a Ubuntu linux (Ubuntu 6.06) at home. I have a ADSL modem (eth0) connected to it for my Broadband connection. It all works fine when the system gets started. But, when I receive a call, the link goes off. And then I lose my internet connection. I tried ifup/ifdown to bring the connection back, but it didnt work.

I also have an issue when I switch off the modem and switch it on again. The connection is lost. On checking syslog,there was an entry - 'Modem hang up' after the link went down.

I need to restart the system to get the connection back again. I am lost searching for solutions. Any pointers as to why this happens and how to rectify it without restarting?

Here's a Post from a DSL provider that sort of summarizes the possibilities at a physical layer - one you can effect, the other you cannot. Take a look and see if it helps. The "filters" on the phone it discusses should have been provided to you by your DSL provider. looks smugly at his FIOS line

Cheers,

Keith

I have not faced the issue again. Just expecting it to occur to see what could be the real cause!!!