Network interfaces error

I just ran sudo service networking start on Ubuntu 16.00 and came out with error message

Job for networking service failed because control process exited with error code see systemctl status networking.service

I tried to also run this command

systemctl status networking.service

I also got an error message

failed to start Raise network interfaces

Well, that might be the first step in a long and stony itinerary. You now need to investigate why it failed to start. Could the IFs be raised before? When did that stop functioning? Any system / systemd modifications ever since? Possible HW failures? Or, maybe a far fetched thought: does it fail because the IFs are already running?

Above is stating that the service can't raise the interface(s). Is that all or do you get more info?
When I issue the command

networking.service - Raise network interfaces
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/networking.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: active (exited) since Fri 2017-10-27 09:48:38 CEST; 8h ago
     Docs: man:interfaces(5)
. . .

you see IFs have been raised, but there's also a hint to read a man page. Therein, there are references to config files which you might want to double check (Are the right IFs listed? Do they exist?) and examples plus links for further reading like e.g. the Debian Reference manual.

thanks
I did add a route in the /etc/network/interface file
and wanted to stop and start the networking service using
service networking stop and start

---------- Post updated at 12:27 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:21 PM ----------

networking.service - Raise network interfaces
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/networking.service; enabled; vendor prese
  Drop-In: /run/systemd/generator/networking.service.d
           50-insserv.conf-$network.conf
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Fri 2017-10-27 16:50:42 BST; 12s ago
     Docs: man:interfaces(5)
  Process: 16089 ExecStart=/sbin/ifup -a --read-environment (code=exited, status
  Process: 16079 ExecStartPre=/bin/sh -c [ "$CONFIGURE_INTERFACES" != "no" ] &&
 Main PID: 16089 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Oct 27 16:50:42 ukldn-ixhs-nms02 systemd[1]: Starting Raise network interfaces..
Oct 27 16:50:42 ukldn-ixhs-nms02 ifup[16089]: RTNETLINK answers: File exists
Oct 27 16:50:42 ukldn-ixhs-nms02 ifup[16089]: Failed to bring up ens160.
Oct 27 16:50:42 ukldn-ixhs-nms02 systemd[1]: networking.service: Main process ex
Oct 27 16:50:42 ukldn-ixhs-nms02 systemd[1]: Failed to start Raise network inter
Oct 27 16:50:42 ukldn-ixhs-nms02 systemd[1]: networking.service: Unit entered fa
Oct 27 16:50:42 ukldn-ixhs-nms02 systemd[1]: networking.service: Failed with res

Looks like there's something missing in your status output.

How did you add that "route"?
Did you remove that and try to restart?

I just added it to the file /etc/network/interfaces