Network Connection not Detected & use HMC Ports for Ethernet?

so im trying to connect my machine (8284-22A) to my localnetwork and somehow I really cannot figure out how To. for the HMC ports, they get to connect to my network but the OS installed doesnt seem to use the HMC ports for network
so i added a leftover ethernet card (just a random one off the online market(consumer grade)) and it doesnt seem to detect the new added card
can someone help me out how to connect the OS inside the server to the outbound network? ATM tested out CentOS 7 (PPC64 edition) and Debian (PPC64LE edition)
and they both seem to detect the Ethernet Card itself but it keeps fail to connect to the network, with the error message that was saying DHCP server slow responce or smh like that. I know this hardware is bit different from x86 servers but still, its taking some tricky time to properly setup this server
Untill this point Iv asked lots of questions including half stupid ones but succeed to this point and only thing left is just to connect to the outbound network

Configure a static connection: no dhcp, static IP address and gateway.

On Debian use the netplan:

On CentOS use NetworkManager, with the nmcli command (or install the nmtui package and use that command).
Start with listing the connections:
nmcli con show
Further nmcli con commands can switch a certain connection to static.
Or in nmtui, use "Edit a connection".

1 Like

Yes, you need to set the gateway either by setting it manually, or by configuring a DHCP server to provide this information when it screams for help and boot time. Probably by default at boot time the system will broadcast for DHCP server help and supply its MAC address. IF a DHCP server on the network recognizes that MAC address as being one of the clients it looks after, then it will reply with the address(es) of the DNS server(s) the system should use along with the gateway address it should use.

If the gateway address is set properly to your LAN router then I would expect:

# ping 8.8.8.8

to work (pinging Google server) whether the DNS server(s) addresses are set or not.

When the DNS server(s) address(es) are set, then the system will be able to 'resolve' domain names to their ip address targets.

The gateway setting is the most important because when you ask for connection to an specific ip address that isn't on your LAN then the system has no clue where to send it if the gateway isn't set.

If you want the system to resolve domain names (URLs) then it must also know where its DNS server(s) are.

So the system might well see the hardware network adapter but without the above it won't get you very far. The system should have a gateway set and DNS server(s) set either locally in its configuration, or get them from a correctly configured DHCP server on the LAN.

I hope I've explained that clear enough. If not, post back and I'm sure someone else on here will have a go.