Network address translation

How would one approach the problem of determining the NAT tables of a router without knowing the userid and password. The only password holder died.
I know the internal ip address of the router is 192.168.2.1, and also ports 80 or 8080 and 3389 are open.

What kind of router?

Netopia r910. It only has a telnet interface abd is probably 10 years old. The manual says that there is no backdoor password. If I reset the device I lose all the config.

Does that router have a DB9 console port on it? If so I think that you should be able to connect a VT100 on there and I don't think that needs userid or password.

Also, a quick search seems to say that the config can be saved using TFTP with credentials.

How to Save a Configuration File for a Netopia Router | eHow

I'd be tempted to try that and then view the saved file with a hex editor to see if that reveals anything. Would also allow you to restore the config if you did hard reset the router.

I thought about using the serial port, but then I couldn't find a computer with a serial port in it.
The original (2003) installation had a dsl modem, and the Netopia router; later the modem was upgraded to a wireless capable modem/router combination.
I ended up just adding the NAT to the modem/router and disconnecting the Netopia router.

There are serial ports to be plugged into USB ports, this one, for instance.

I hope this helps.

bakunin